Wild plum problems and solutions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
Made a batch of wild plum a few years ago. It never did clear and always had kind of a funny smell. Foreward to last year, my daughter brought a bag of wild plums. Didn't think there was quite enough so added some pie cherries I had in the freezer. Stuff cleared quite nice, came out with a nice light red color. Tastes great and should go in bottles sometime soon. This year got another batch from my daughter. Fermented them alone and got the same thing I got the first time. Found a pkg of superkleer I bought a long time ago. Racked the plum, threw the superkleer in the recieving carboy part way thru. Racked the other carboy of plum and while doing that I looked down the worktable and thought to myself (what is the carboy with all the lees in the bottom of it?) The first plum was already clearing up. Probably had 3/4 inch of lees in 10 minutes. Will see how it goes and keep this updated. I have never used the superkleer so was really suprised to see it going to town so fast. Think I'll go check on it, will keep you informed. Arne.

Back