Why is this company selling wine so cheap?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm, after reading closely, this is $25 for a "$75 worth of wine".

Yes. Nowhere that I could see, does it tell you what you're actually getting. Reds? Whites? How many bottles? Is this a mystery grab bag of sorts?

I believe you are basically buying a $50 off coupon. You would select your choice of wines and when your cart has $75 or more you can use your Groupon and pay $25. If the number of wines you selected were 12+, shipping would be $0.01. I suspect regular shipping rates (?) would be applied if you selected less than 12 bottles. Again, this is just how I am reading it...

Joe

What's all this about buying wine on a winemaking site? :h I can't remember the last time I bought a bottle. It's been years. But that is some cheap bought wine, though.

The wines that I selected from nakedwines were fantastic. Pricing on my order came out to about $19/Bottle, but they were excellent.
I got a $50 gift card with a pair of baseball cleats for my daughter.
I won't be signing up for the subscription but my skepticism of the quality was gone with the first sip.

I'm a big fan as well. They may have redone the website since this thread was created, the website explains will how they do this price wise and what their mission is. I find that once the coupon is used up that the pricing is reasonable for the quality, but it is not an absolute steal.

My favorite part had been interactions with the wine makers. Almost all of them respond to comments about their wines and some of those comments have spun out to other correspondence that had been really helpful at understanding wine and the process of making it.

My wife and I signed up for a while, waiting for our homemade wines to mature. We both found some outstanding wines that we enjoyed immensely. I recommend them to anyone looking for very good wines for a reasonable price. As with any wine, there are going to be ones you don't enjoy as much or even dislike, but the quality of the wines is high. And there are the reviews as well, so that can help.

What's all this about buying wine on a winemaking site? :h I can't remember the last time I bought a bottle. It's been years. But that is some cheap bought wine, though.

Must be to get the bottles to reuse! ;)

I thought I would post here again since it has been a while. I cancelled my membership a few months ago. In all I bought 6 cases of wine. Of those I think I found 3 wines that blew me away. One of those, I connected with the wine maker through Naked and then through Facebook and it was a rich and informative exchange. The reason I cancelled is that I just didn't find the wine that good. Here's the pro/con list from my experience.

Pro:
-Wonderful interaction with wine makers. This was almost enough to keep me on the site by itself
-I really like their business model, I like the idea that I'm helping other wine makers realize their dreams
-There were some wines that I found exceptional not just in their categories, but overall
-There are unique and interesting blends that I have not been able to find anywhere else

Con:
-Most wines I tried are average or below
-The review system suffers the same peril as Yelp/Trip It/etc.. namely, it's difficult to determine where the reviewers are coming from and what their experience was up to that point (frame of reference). Moreover, you have to wade though hundred of one sentence reviews to get to some meat, it feels like work
-Referent pricing...this one drives me nuts. There is no such thing as the list price that they X out before showing you your "discounted" price. This wine is not for sale anywhere else, therefore, the price Naked sells it for IS the de facto list price. This may be more a personal irk, but I find it ridiculous
-From what I gather there are 2 warehouses in the US so a wine that you loved might be listed as "sold out" but what that really means is that it isn't in the warehouse that serves your part of the country, but may be available to the other half
-Wines are sometimes such small runs or so popular that by the time you have ordered a few bottles, realized that you love them and go to re-order, they are sold out already

All in all, I think Naked was a really great experience. Getting to interact with wine makers is awesome and you can see them grow and experiment from vintage to vintage. It just wasn't for me, there was too much average wine to hold out and keep trying for those lightning strikes.

I thought I would post here again since it has been a while. I cancelled my membership a few months ago. In all I bought 6 cases of wine. Of those I think I found 3 wines that blew me away. One of those, I connected with the wine maker through Naked and then through Facebook and it was a rich and informative exchange. The reason I cancelled is that I just didn't find the wine that good. Here's the pro/con list from my experience.

Pro:
-Wonderful interaction with wine makers. This was almost enough to keep me on the site by itself
-I really like their business model, I like the idea that I'm helping other wine makers realize their dreams
-There were some wines that I found exceptional not just in their categories, but overall
-There are unique and interesting blends that I have not been able to find anywhere else

Con:
-Most wines I tried are average or below
-The review system suffers the same peril as Yelp/Trip It/etc.. namely, it's difficult to determine where the reviewers are coming from and what their experience was up to that point (frame of reference). Moreover, you have to wade though hundred of one sentence reviews to get to some meat, it feels like work
-Referent pricing...this one drives me nuts. There is no such thing as the list price that they X out before showing you your "discounted" price. This wine is not for sale anywhere else, therefore, the price Naked sells it for IS the de facto list price. This may be more a personal irk, but I find it ridiculous
-From what I gather there are 2 warehouses in the US so a wine that you loved might be listed as "sold out" but what that really means is that it isn't in the warehouse that serves your part of the country, but may be available to the other half
-Wines are sometimes such small runs or so popular that by the time you have ordered a few bottles, realized that you love them and go to re-order, they are sold out already

All in all, I think Naked was a really great experience. Getting to interact with wine makers is awesome and you can see them grow and experiment from vintage to vintage. It just wasn't for me, there was too much average wine to hold out and keep trying for those lightning strikes.

Completely agree with everything you wrote, although I think we may have enjoyed a few more wines that you did. There were some interesting blends and varietals we'd never seen before, and a few that were REALLY outstanding. Supporting the small wineries is a great idea, but like you said...if you find something you really like chances are you'll only be able to get it that one time before being sold out. It was fun though!

I have had a naked wines subscription for about a year or maybe more. We put money into our account every month and then every couple months order a case or more. We love it. Yes some wines are not fantastic but those are generally the wines under $10 which is to be expected. Some of the wines have been AMAZING and a great value. The selection does change often so it can be hard to go back and get the same wines again but we order the wines more to change it up from our everyday drinking wines we can get here at the store. There are wines from all over the world with a lot of variety and we enjoy ordering the ones we know little about to try something new. As for the reviews I generally don't read them because everyones likes/dislikes are so subjective. Free shipping to your door via FedEx is great too. Just try to be home because you have to sign for delivery. We love our naked wines and plan to keep our subscription. It works great for us but can see where it might not for others.

Back