Whole process of Merlot Grapes to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

111jag

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to wine making from grapes. My dad is old school and says he knows everything. So this is what I have done. I bought 18 cases of Californian Merlot grapes a few weeks ago. I got the place I bought them at to destem them. I took the must home and put it into 2 big barrels (200 litres). I pressed down the skins twice a day for 6 days. Then I squished the skins and put the juice in 3 demijons. I have not added anything to the juice yet. It has been bubbling at 20 degrees for about a week and a half. My father said I should rack the wine around December and to not touch it until then. Is this true? I have read I should have racked one or two days after transfering it to the demijons? Should I add anything to the demijons? Any suggestions for making good wine would be appreciated. I do own a hydrometer but have not used it yet. I am thinking of trying anything you suggest to one of the demijons to show my father that you can make better wine than they used to. I always remember my dads wine being bitter. He said it was great. I tend to think otherwise.
Thanks,
Rob

Scroll down to the post Complete novice with a lot of grapes by Lindsey. I posted on there with fairly complete instructions. Read thru it, and ask any questions you mite have. Arne.

I would recomend that you rack (syphon the clear wine and disguard the yucky sediment) 1 to 2 weeks after your wine stops bubbling.

I would also suggest that you get an acid test kit and adjust your acid to the recomended levels.

I would also suggest that you get some k-meta and use it to sanitize your wine after racking.

There are also about a dozen other things I could suggest, but it is far too much to list here.

I hate to make suggestions like this, but it really applies in your case... I would get some books on winemaking and read up on it. There are plenty listing on this forum.

Is there anything you would suggest doing right now. Like racking the wine or adding something to it?

Rob,
I am very familiar with how the old timers make wine, it can be very good...or very bad, it is a crap shot.
I agree with John T, a few books would really help.
You need to get a Hydrometer ASAP.
I'll try to keep it basic, then you can ask questions and we can answer them.

If I understand correctly, you brought the destemmed grapes home, put them in a barrel and and started to punch them down.
You didn't add any yeast, you let the wild yeast ferment them, you pressed the grapes and put the must into 3 demijohns.
Here is a basic how to:
Once you destem and crush the grapes, you put them in a fermenter, take a Starting gravity reading with your hydrometer, or a brix reading, I usually add meta (amount depends on how much you are making) to ward off the wild yeast, You can add various enzymes to help break down the skins if you would like to at this point).
You can let the grapes cold soak (temps must be under 55°) for a few days, up to a few weeks to pull out more color and flavor from the skins if you want to.
Test your PH, TA and SO2 levels, make adjustments before starting fermentation.
Bring the temp back up naturally, hydrate your yeast, pitch the yeast, put a lid on your fermenting vessel.
I recommend punching down the cap (the grapes that come to the top as the level of must increases) several times a day.
When you Gravity level is below 1.000, I prefer as dry as I can get it, .992 -.994 is perfect, remove as much of the grapes skins as you can and press them, be aware that the more you press the more tannic or astringent your wine can become.
Add the juice you got from pressing to the wine in your fermenter, some rack to a carboy or demijohn at this point, others recommend to wait 24 hrs. to let it settle.
Take a Final Gravity reading, with both readings, you can figure out the ABV%.
Rack, stabilize with meta, put a bung and airlock on the demijohn and let it age.
After a month or two, you can rack it off the Lees (sediment), you can do this every few months.
Make sure that you test the SO2 levels and that you top off up to approx an inch below the bung.
The longer it ages, the better it will be.
There are so many things that I left out trying not to give you a data overload, such as: I'd add some oak during the fermenting or aging stage, MLF and a few others.
I'm sure others will chime in as well, I may have left something out.
Let me know if this makes sense to you, ask a billion questions, everyone is really helpful.
Don't try to prove Dad is wrong or that you know how to make a better wine than him, he will never embrace your wine or "new" methods if you approach it that way, why not show him how you make wine, a process that he probably was extremely proud to do with his son, I know that I am extremely proud that my son is making wine with me.

Tom

Latest posts

Back