White Zinfandel question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be getting my first juice bucket and need a little planning help. I am planning on getting a white Zinfandel since my wife likes it so much. I've been reading a lot through here and see everyone buying a lug or 2 of the same varietal (sometimes different) to add to the buckets. I'm not sure if my supplier is doing lugs this year but if they do I was thinking about getting at least one. Good idea for a white zinf or is there a downside? I see most of the people doing this is doing reds. Also, should I be getting some tannins lined up for this varietal? I have some FT BLANC SOFT that I've used with some of my fruit wines plus I just got some TANNIN COMPLETE and some TANNIN FT ROGUE in the mail for another up coming batch. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on adding grapes to a white zinf bucket and about the tannins to use if any. Trying to knock this outta the park for the wife (Happy wife, happy life)!

Since White Zin is actually made from a red grape, your result from adding grapes may be a light red wine, instead of a blush/rose appearance. The resulting tannins may be a little strong as well. I like the idea of using FT BLANC SOFT. Assuming you're going for a sweeter wine, don't forget to have proper sulfite levels and use sorbate before back sweetening.

Yeah my wife likes sweet stuff [emoji19] So you would ditch the grapes and go with other tannin sources? Is color really the only down side of using the grapes? Another thing, what yeast would you recommend if the bucket is not already inoculated?

the White Zinfandel will be a juice. I don't think any tannin during fermentation will do any good. Usually it is added at fermentation to enhance color extraction. Using juice there is no opportunity to do so. Just ferment per instructions and sweeten to taste after wine is clear.

As per instruction? Didn't know buckets came with instructions. What kind of info is usually with the juice buckets?

JimmyT,

You can find instructions from Morewine online. I would use the ones for white wines. They will walk you through what to add, how to test, etc.

In terms of ingredients you will want to have on hand:
Pectic enzyme
Kmeta
Tartaric acid

In terms of testing, it would be good to be able to test pH. That can be done with strips for your first nonkit batch.

I would not add grapes.

I agree with boatboy on the tannin soft.

Heather

Have all 3 on hand! What pH would be recommended for this varietal?

Never had a muscat. Anything it's similar to? Does sound interesting. Might have to make a trip to the state store this weekend

Back