White wine fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleleaf

Reaction score
I can never get a dry white from fresh juice. I usually buy white fresh juice and red fresh juice and ferment them at the same time. 3 weeks later the red sg is at .994 while the white is still slightly above 1.0. And never goes below 1.0. Same issue with blush wine. Does anyone have this problem with fresh juice? Don't have a problem with kits.

Here's my thoughts on it. You would think that if you can ferment a red to the dry state, you'd have no problems with whites. But are you using a good nutrient schedule with your ferments? Lack of enough nutrient at the right times is one of the biggest reasons for a ferment not completing.

The reason why the reds are fermenting all the way may due to the fact that those grapes have more YAN than the whites do. It is always wise to step-feed nutrient to all your ferments in order to avoid slow, sluggish, or stuck ferments. What kind of nutrient are you using and how are you using it?

Last edited:
I am not using any nutrients. Just the juice and yeast. When I buy the fresh juice it already has the yeast in it. Somehow they keep the yeast dormant by keeping the juice at a low temperature. When I get home it warms up to around 22deg celsius ans starts fermenting. What kind of nutrients would you suggest?

For 5 gal... 3g of fermaid K at first sign of fermentation.
Then another 3g at 1/3 sugar depletion.
Dissolve in some of the wine before stirring it in.

Last edited:
I agree--Fermaid K is a good nutrient that also has minerals and vitamins that many yeast prefer. ALWAYS use nutrient. Must is a poor source of nitrogen, and lack of using nutrient is what is responsible for your troubles. You're lucky you never had a case of H2S, by not using it.

Watching the Reds take off after warming up and a good stir, one has the same expectations with the whites. Not so!!! Every White bucket I've done has been much slower by at least twice as long. Usually wind up adding a nutrient and even trying some heat at times, altho whites do not react like the reds. The 62-68F range seems to be a comfort zone for the whites so just adding that other ingredient (TIME) is all that is required!

Agree with above. You really do want to use nutrient for all of your wine.

+1 on above...

You make no mention of the strain of yeast that you are using or the variety of grapes you are dealing with. If you like dry white wines, I would suggest going with a chardonnay juice with Lalvin D47 yeast.

In general, but speaking for myself in particular, most suppliers have prepared their buckets for easy/foolproof usability. They are kept refrigerated to hold off fermentation till you purchase and get it to your cave/laboratory. I, like many, take that as a given and simply let the juice do it's thing, and thus far with satisfactory if not pleasing results. All with little more than a basic working knowledge of what's occurring. The more ambitious/conscientious(?) among the population of non-commercial vintners (home brewers) take the time and science a level or two further and are rewarded with the best possible palate pleaser that can be had out of a bucket! Kudos to y'all for sharing knowledge and providing inspiration...

Back