Which Yeast Should I Use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinividivici

Reaction score
I just picked up a 6 gallon pail of Sangiovese juice this morning. The local wine shop added a packet of Lalvin yeast, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae strain.

I also have packs of Red Star Montrachet yeast. Does anyone know if one of the above is better for the Sangiovese wine?

Also, the packets of both varieties mention they're good for up to 6 US gallons. Is there any harm in using two packs instead of one? I plan to make a yeast starter either way.

Thanks!

Bob

The Lalvin "strain" that you listed is actually the species, and virtually all wine yeasts are of that species. The strain will be something like K1V, 71B, D47, RC212 or EC1118.

FYI, Montrachet is notorious for H2S production.

Adding two different yeast strains is normally a waste. The stronger strain will dominate.

I would use the lalvin myself but which strain. You only need 1 pack for 6-10 gallons. No need to rush it. Patience Tom says.

The Lalvin "strain" that you listed is actually the species, and virtually all wine yeasts are of that species. The strain will be something like K1V, 71B, D47, RC212 or EC1118.

FYI, Montrachet is notorious for H2S production.

Adding two different yeast strains is normally a waste. The stronger strain will dominate.

But I love the smell of sulfur in the morning. It smells like...victory!
Seriously, I wasn't aware of Montrachet's rep. Thanks!

Regarding combining two packs, what I really meant was two of the same.
Djrockinsteve answered it, though.

Thanks to both of you!

I use Montrachet all the time and as long as you use energizer and nutrient you wont have problem. I use both in all my fruit wines but only nutrient with grape wines but Montrachet is not a good choice for a wine like this.

Latest posts

Back