Which Would You Choose?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Read the following then at the end make your choice. You must not think about it. Take your best guess pick then read on.

I need to hire you for 31 days straight. No time off. At the end of the 31 days your work is finished and you will be paid.

I will give you the choice of how you wish to be paid.

a) A penny for the first day and I will double that each day thereafter.

b) One thousand dollars for each day.

Make your decision.

Now the best answer.
Obviously b) would get you $31,000.00 (1 thousand per day)
a) would start out at .01, day two .02 and day 3 .04 etc.
On the tenth day you would have a big $5.12 and on day fifteen it would be $163.84

Further into the month on day twenty $5,242.88 twenty fifth day $167,772.16

Twenty sixth $335,544.32
Twenty seventh $671,088.64
Twenty eighth $1,342,177.38 Getting up there
Twenty ninth $2,684.354.66
Thirth $5,368,709.12

and on the last day you would receive $10,737,418.24
The magic of compounding. Hope you made the right choice. Taxes excluded:)

I heard that along time ago about the penny a day - hard to believe it would end up being that much!!

Under the FLSA and the Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Act, employers must pay overtime to qualified non-exempt employees. Overtime hours are hours worked in excess of hours 40 in a given work week. The Pennsylvania Code defines a work week as a period of 7 straight days starting on the day the employer chooses. Regardless of whether the employee is paid on an hourly, salaried, or piece rate basis, overtime is paid on a work-week basis. :D

Under the FLSA and the Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Act, employers must pay overtime to qualified non-exempt employees. Overtime hours are hours worked in excess of hours 40 in a given work week. The Pennsylvania Code defines a work week as a period of 7 straight days starting on the day the employer chooses. Regardless of whether the employee is paid on an hourly, salaried, or piece rate basis, overtime is paid on a work-week basis. :D

Okay Larry then what is the new total?

I wonder if I could onvince the Minister of National defence to pay me as per the penny method.....:db:db

I heard this same senario for golf.
1 dollar start, double each hole......let your opponent win the first few holes.
It adds up fast.

Latest posts

Back