Which grape is best in my arbor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonzo

Reaction score
Well i am going to build a small arbor in my yard this spring (4 vines). I really wanted to grow Riesling grapes but don't think they would grow well in my climate (central Indiana). Which grapes should i lean too. semi sweet is about as sweet as i want to go but i really really love a dry Chardonnay. here is a link i found and looks like i have a lot of options just not sure which direction to go. any input is welcomed input. thx

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-221.pdf

A grape that will grow in your area like Riesling/ gevertisaminer (spelling?) is the Traminette.
As for Chardonnay, the Chardonell grape is as close as you will get. These are both hybred from the corsponding grapes to grow in a northern climate.

I would say Chardonel would be a good choice for you. A lot is grown there and it can be made as a very good dry fruity Chardonay style. The grapes are nice and large and would do well on an arbor. Here is a picture of some on VSP showing the great colored clusters. They do need some spray.

100_4631.jpg

After reading the link i posted the Chardonel and the Traminette were actually the 2 that i had decided on. drinking mostly dry wines i believe i will go with the Chardonel. Now i need to build the arbor (4 vines i think) and wait 3-4 years for the production :)

Latest posts

Back