Where to store wine between racking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citadelphil

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to winemaking and I have a quick question around the best place to store my homebrew wine between rackings.

For the first phase (ie crushing the fruit and adding the brewing yeast) I've kept the wine in the kitchen where it's relatively warm. I syphoned the liquid off the fruit pulp after the fermentation finished and returned it to the demi-john and am looking to rack the wine in a month or so.

My question is simply - where do I need to store the wine I have between rackings - will it be safe in the kitchen (is it relatively warm) or should I move it to the garage where it's relatively cool and dark?

Thank you!

Age it where you will store it once bottled and finished. If the temps change after bottling that increases the potential for sediment to drop out. Basements work best but the key is as steady a temp as you can find. 55-65 is pretty good range to shoot for. There are other details as well, humidity and Darkness.

Latest posts

Back