Where to start?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
So I have a few kits going and would like to do grapes this season, but not really sure what the process is other than: crush, yeast/ferment, rack & clear, bottle. So I'm looking for a good overview of the "right" process. I understand there are many ways but what are the "must do's" and in what order?

This is very basic instructions:

Red wine
-Crush grapes into bucket style fermenter, add 50 ppm kmeta, 24 hrs later add yeast
-push grape skins down into fermenting must a couple times a day.
-When SG is down to 1.00, press skins and rack into mostly filled carboys.
-48 hrs later rack off gross lees and add MLF culture. Ensure carboys are topped up.
-When MLF is complete rack, sulfite and oak wine.
-rack a few more times over the next year and then bottle with some added KMETA.

White/blush wine
-crush grapes, add 50-75 ppm KMETA and press out juice discarding skins. Rack into carboys up to necks. 24 hrs later add yeast.
-Once fermentation slows, rack off into fresh carboys and add Kmeta.
-rack a few more times over the next 9 months- 1 year and then bottle with some added KMETA.

Don't bottle unless wine is perfectly clear.

Lovethewine pretty much sums it up except I would add testing the ph, adjusting the acid, taking initial SG readings, and adding yeast neutrient before you add yeast.

I would start by getting a few books and reading up to get yourself familiarized with the process, the following books will give you the base knowledge that you need:
Techniques in home Winemaking -Daniel Pambianchi
Home Winemaking -Iverson
I've read so many books covering home winemaking, and most were either too vague, jumped around too much, or were written at a 6th grade level, the books I listed will give you a decent understanding, then start asking a bazillion questions.

Home Winemaking -Iverson is really a good one to start with..Its easy to understand...Good use a little more detail, but you will get that as you learn.

Thanks all..

downloading now :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Wine Making mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
both of these comments are excellent:
Lovethewine pretty much sums it up except I would add testing the ph, adjusting the acid, taking initial SG readings, and adding yeast neutrient before you add yeast.
I would start by getting a few books and reading up to get yourself familiarized with the process, the following books will give you the base knowledge that you need:
Techniques in home Winemaking -Daniel Pambianchi
Home Winemaking -Iverson
I've read so many books covering home winemaking, and most were either too vague, jumped around too much, or were written at a 6th grade level, the books I listed will give you a decent understanding, then start asking a bazillion questions.
These guys know their winemaking!

Another good book is 'How to make wine' by Sheridan Warrick
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0520266145/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Owning a PH meter is a must as is obtaining the best quality grapes you possibly can get your hands on

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, I'm reading the Warrick book now, almost done.. did that one first on account of it was the only one I could find a download for, ordered the other 2: Techniques in home Winemaking -Daniel Pambianchi, Home Winemaking -Iverson and got them a few days ago.. started the Iverson one also..

I think I'll do a write up of all three when I'm done to give some perspective from a "New winemaker's point of view".. for instance the Warrick book is good and interesting, however they put in a lot of the scientific calculations with the "meat" of the book, and it makes it harder read.. Personally I like that information but there's a time and a place for it.. I'd rather you discuss the difference in TA, Ph, Brix in general so I can understand it before you start throwing chemistry and math at me :)..

Last edited:
I did a batch of grapes that my mom had brought over. I have no idea the what kind of grape they were, but being ever so daring I adjusted the acid and sugar level just as I would with a strawberry or other fruit wine. campden and a day later 1118 yeast and away I went. turned out really nice for a young wine and is now about 5 months old and is getting better I am afraid I will have to re stabilize as the last 2 that I have opened had an unexpected sparkle.
A bit of advice a good bucket and a potato masher will work well if you do not have wine press to mash the grapes.

Latest posts

Back