When to Switch Bungs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdonohue

Reaction score
So, at what point do you switch from breathable to solid silicon bungs. I have both of them for my 32 gal Vadai. I currently have a 6 month old batch of Chilean Malbec in it on the breathable.. Mlf has been complete for months.. thanks

yea they make silicon too, but Im trying to find out the best time to switch from breathable to solid...

With a barrel You want to switch to a solid bung as soon as the wine is stable and in the barrel.

Ie if you are finnished primary & mlf ( either in or pre barrel) and you add so2 then you should put in a solid bung. Preferably a silicone bung to reduce wicking , and risk of oxidization and bacterial spoilage that can be a risk with a cork or wooden bung

Unlike a carboy A barrel develops a vacuum as the angels share develops , this can suck a wet airlock dry , the water may contain spoilage microbes . And the risk of oxidizing is high.
This vacuum counters atmospheric pressure in a stable (non fermenting) wine in a barrel.

A solid bung is best , and a dry fermrite type bung durring active ferments until the wine finnishes activity . A couple months past is ok but for long term a solid is best practice .

Visit any commercial winery to confirm , or just call any cooper and ask.
Call Vadai , they sell silicon bungs.

Gum rubber is also ok , most home winemaking shops would have these in many sizes

http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wobcg.pdf more wines barrel guide

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back