when to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
I have a blueberry raisin 5 gal I started 2 months ago 8/10. It is bright and clear. The hydrometer is reading .999 and has been for a while. Can I bottle now or should I wait. I have no patience I want to drink it.

Last edited:
I have a blueberry raisin 5 gal I started 2 months ago 8/10. It is bright and clear. The hydrometer is reading .999 and has been for a while. Can I bottle now or should I wait. I have no patience I want to dink it.

The longer you wait the better off you will be. 2 months is pretty early. My apple spice has been crystal clear for about 3 months now - i just bottled yesterday. Mine was in the carboy for about 6 months.

When did it fall still?
Have you racked it off the sediment?

About 2 months ago.

I added a fining agent to to ensure it was clear - filtered it - and then bottled.

My blueberry started clearing about 2 weeks ago. I have only racked once out of the primary. Should i rack again now? I ordered 3 carboys from paklab ($28 and free shipping). They take forever. I have no patience.

I think i started this one before i found this forum.

BLUEBERRY WINE (1) (Full Bodied?) from Jack Keller's web
10 lb. blueberries $2.5/lb at cosco
4.5 lb. raisins sunmaid $7.50/4.5lb at cosco
10 lb. granulated sugar $5
.5 oz. pectic enzyme
7 tsp. acid blend tested about .7 TA 8/14/10
2.5 tsp. yeast energizer
water to 5 gallon
crushed Campden tablet 4 tablets and wait 12 hrs for pectic
wine yeast ec-1118

8/11/2010 SG 1.108
8/12/2010 juice bubbling out of the airlock
8/14/2010 removed about 2 lbs of fruit and squeezed

8/17/2010 racked to glass secondary. SG 1.010. Used straining bag to squeeze juice. Produced 5.5 gal of juice.

10/4 .999
10/6 .999
10/7 .999

With 3 consecutive days at the same SG - fermentation is done. I would rack, sulfite, sorbate it, add f-pac and backsweeten.

It sounds like it's a little early to bottle. When you rack it, draw off a sample and taste it. If it's ready to drink, go ahead and bottle it. You're the ultimate judge of when your wine is ready.

"I would rack, sulfite, sorbate it, add f-pac and backsweeten." -winenemaker

Is it better to back sweeten? Is blueberry a good dry wine?

I have no idea what it is supposed to taste like. So to sum up what jet said if i like it drink it. If i don't, wait 3 to 6 months and try again.

"I would rack, sulfite, sorbate it, add f-pac and backsweeten." -winenemaker

Is it better to back sweeten? Is blueberry a good dry wine?

I have no idea what it is supposed to taste like. So to sum up what jet said if i like it drink it. If i don't, wait 3 to 6 months and try again.

Yeah - essentially it is all up to your palate - you can use our comments as a guide - but if you like a dry blueberry - don't sweeten it. As far as an f-pac - if you want a stronger blueberry taste - add the f-pac - otherwise let it ride.

maybe i will do half sweetened and half not. Do you sweeten to a specific sg?

maybe i will do half sweetened and half not. Do you sweeten to a specific sg?

Well - that depends on your taste as well - when i sweeten i try to hit around 1.020 - border line semi-sweet to sweet. I don't like a real sweet flavored wine.

I tasted it today. Smells a little like blueberry yogurt. I don't think it is ready to drink so i will give it more time. Very clear. Thank you for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back