When to apply bird netting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
I want to know when I should apply bird netting. I will be away from the vineyard the last week of July and wanted to know if I will face any bird risk that early. The berries are still hard, green and small, but I dont' want to miss anything since this years crop will be light. Variteties in signature block.

The key here is veraison, i.e. when the grapes turn red and start to gain sugar. The birds will not bother the grapes before that, but seem to have a canny sense of when they are sweet. Then they will pounce. The key is, when they start veraison and how long it takes for them to get pretty red, with lots of sugar in them. You need to net before they get too far along. I guess to be safe, net at soon as they start to turn. Here in California, we are starting veraison already. How old are your vines? Vines younger than 3-4 years old usually don't make too good wine. Mine are in their 3d year and I am going to make wine just for the practice, hopefully it will be OK. Good luck, Gary

I delay as long as possible. The vines will continue to grow through the netting and it is much harder to get off than it was to put on.

I don't put on at the first sign of color....I wait another week or more, depending on how lucky I feel.

I agree, wait till to get considerable color, or when the birds arrive. The latter so,eti,es being too late. Vine will grow thru the netting and it is a bugger to get the netting off later.

Latest posts

Back