WineXpert When to add sulphite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I'm making the WE International Aussie Cab. I stabilized, fined, and racked a month ago and plan to bottle 2 months from now. There's a fair amount of lees in the carboy again (I don't quite have the racking thing down yet) - should I rack it off or just leave it alone for the next 2 months? Also, since I plan to age more than 6 months after bottling, should I add the extra sulphite if I rack now instead of at bottling time, or just wait until bottling to add it? (And if I add it now, should I add more when I bottle?)

I would add the extra at bottling and let it sit for now until it is
settled and then rack off sediment into another carboy or bucket,
preferably with a spigot to aid in bottling.

Hi Mark,
If it was my wine, and there was a good deal of lees, I would rack it now and then rack it again before bottling. I don't think I ever bottle as quickly as the kit instructions say you can bottle. We do a few extra rackings and bulk age.
I don't have the instructions for your kit. Did you at sulphite when you last racked?

This kit says to degas and stabilize/fine (with sulphite, sorbate, and chitosan), wait 8 days to clarify, then rack (no sulphite) and wait14 to 21 days before bottling (assuming it's clear, which it is above the lees). Up till now I've followed the instructions so it's been 4 weeks since I last added sulphite but this time Iwant to wait 2 more months before bottling. There's more than just a dusting of lees (quit a bit, actually, but not nearly as much as before the first racking and it's not as dense) so I don't know if it's best to leave it on the lees for 2 more months or rack it off, therefore the question on when to add sulphite. If you rack often, what rules do you follow for adding sulphite, and how much? What would you do in my case?
BTW, as Wade said, I'll eventuallyrack through a gravity filter into my primary and bottle from the spigot. I just don't know what to do in the meantime...

Rack and add the sulfite now, then add 1/4 tsp when you bottle. The SO2 gas takes about 3 months to leave the carboy through the airlock. As a result, it is good to add extra sulfite about every 3 months, which should coincide with subsequent rackings.

Back