when to add k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
<DIV id=post_message_1038567>I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch, and understand that I should probably add 1/4 teaspoon to it beforehand. When do I add this????

As I'm racking to the bottling bucket....One day prior....or when

Thanks

I would get 4oz of water and add ¼ tsp of k-met and dissolve. Then add to bottling bucket and rack wine into bucket
smiley2.gif

When did you start and what was it?

Congrats on your 1st batch. Hopefully you followed all the directions in the box. Remember, sanitize everything that will touch your wine.
smiley20.gif

Thanks. I followed everything per the directions except adding this 1/4 tsp of K-meta before bottling....

You can also take a few ounces of wine out and add the k-meta to that. While 4 ounces of water isn't much, there are many who don't want to add any water after the initial water, feeling it dilutes the wine. I have done it both ways and can't tell a difference either way.

Just remember. Wait at least 2 - 4 weeks before drinking. The longer the better your wine will taste. Save 6 bottles and put them away. After 1-2 years then try one. Betcha it will be super !

Now you need to start another wine.

Where you from?

Thanks. I've actually started a WE Cab. Sauv. Franc, Merlot blend. Its been in secondary for about a week. Plan to bulk age that one for a while.....

Living near Atlanta Georgia...

My wife picked up a bottle of what was supossed to be K-meta but the bottle says Potassium Bicarbonate. Is this the wrong stuff....doesn't sound right...

That is definitely the wrong stuff. That is meant to reduce acids in the wine and id not a substitute for k-meta. Wait for the right stuff please.

Thanks. just anotherexcuse to goto theto the LHBS. Not the end of ther world

YES do not use. Just age your wine longer. This will also help clear even more. When you get K-MET then bottle.

Latest posts

Back