When and how to add Fermax

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppyland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a batch of cheap Pinot Grigio yesterday (with a few tweaks, of course), and, based on some recent comments and experience with a FWK, I decided to try a yeast starter/nutrient regimen. I started with Go-Ferm yesterday per the instructions. Next step is Fermax, but I'm not certain how and when to add it - do you just sprinkle it in and stir? What about dosage?

If you haven't changed the yeast that was supplied with the kit, then the addition of Fermax is probably not indicated. Most wine kits come with an adequate amount of nutrient in the must for the supplied yeast.

The dosage to add, depends on how lacking in YAN your must is, which is often an unknown. I generally assume with grape musts that I have about half the YAN required and add based on that.

Having extra nutrients is a potentially bad thing, if it is hanging around after fermentation, then spoilage bacteria can feast on it and grow.

When I add it, I either sprinkle and stir or pull out about 10 times (and I don't measure just eyeball) of the must to the amount of nutrient I am adding, mix well and pour in.

If you haven't changed the yeast that was supplied with the kit, then the addition of Fermax is probably not indicated. Most wine kits come with an adequate amount of nutrient in the must for the supplied yeast.
Craig is right -- I didn't consider this when answering.

What yeast came with the kit, and are you changing it? If it's the typical EC-1118 and you're not substituting, skip the Fermax. If you are using a yeast with higher nutrient requirements, go with a half or full dosage.

Thanks for the info! I'm using the kit yeast, which I assume is EC-1118 (it's in a custom kit-branded packet with no ID). I'll hold off on the nutrient this time around.

Thanks for the info! I'm using the kit yeast, which I assume is EC-1118 (it's in a custom kit-branded packet with no ID). I'll hold off on the nutrient this time around.
Huh. I've never made a kit where I didn't know what the yeast is. This is a tough one to advise on, as I might add a half dose of nutrient.

Huh. I've never made a kit where I didn't know what the yeast is. This is a tough one to advise on, as I might add a half dose of nutrient.
Yeah the last couple from Wine Lovers (ABC Cork) have been like that. I just figured it was 1118 since it's an inexpensive entry-level kit.

EC-1118 is what I've used for most of my wine the last couple of years (kits and country fruit), and it has always seemed to work fine. I was impressed by how vigorous the ferment was with the FWK Forte Series I have going, so I thought I'd try to help things along with nutrient.

I was impressed by how vigorous the ferment was with the FWK Forte Series I have going, so I thought I'd try to help things along with nutrient.
I suspect that the usage of a really active starter is more responsible than the nutrients. You need both, but I've used different nutrients and levels of nutrients -- the overnight starter is the one thing that is different for me.

Since the kit is a white, I wanted to get the must into a carboy fairly quickly, but fermentation was moving a bit slowly (it's quite cool in my basement). I decided to get things moving and try a half-dose of Fermax.

The reaction was definitely interesting and unexpected. I sprinkled the Fermax on top, and the must around it started bubbling/fizzing. Once I stirred it in, it also foamed pretty vigorously. It settled down after a minute or so, but I didn't expect immediate results!

The "immediate reaction" wasn't due to new fermentation activity. The powder provided nucleation sites for formation of CO2 bubbles. In the future, you can dissolve any powder in a small amount of wine, then add that to the carboy to avoid possible wine volcanoes.

Latest posts

Back