What's The Soonest You Can Bottle/Drink A Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hum something must be wrong with me, for my first time not counting when i was young helping the elders and trying to learn, then i grew up went out doing construction across the states, all them old elders were long gone, so i started 2 six gallons of blackberry, 2 six of strawberry and one 6&1/2 of pear apple blend, all from fresh fruit, bulk aged two years, without a taste, that's when i got on here to see if it was ruined or not, i was fixing to throw it away, this forum saved me from pouring it out, but like these members here told me once you get some laid back it'll get easier, but i'm sure there's better other types but skeeter pee is the quickest i make, but like others a little aging helps it get better,
Dawg

I'm not new to winemaking and the urge to sample newer wines is still there. It helps to make quicker aging wines to drink while the other is aging. Sometimes stuffing a case in a closet or the cellar helps -- out of sight, out of mind.

It's good to have friends that love the wine that you don't!

yep i just unloaded 2 cases of 2016, i forget the type mead it was called,, but it was wildflower honey, 3 lbs blackberries and 1 ounce of some australian flora hops, man i didn't like it at all, lol i got me a label remover for a while,,, hehe, and to think i might of paid him to drink it so i could have my wine bottles back, and to think i just got almost 7 cases of factory labeled used wine bottles and he's going to clean each and every one of them, oh my bad and no shame at all,,
Dawg

I'm on my first wine making attempt- 6.5 gallons of pear wine. Having only one carboy at this time I don't want to dottle around for months not being able to make another batch. Already 5 weeks out the stuff tastes fine to me. Sure, it isn't as clear as a commercial wine yet, but it's plenty clear enough for me. Is clearity really all that important to taste, as I've been told it doesn't really matter?

What I'm asking is this- How fast can I bottle the stuff and how fast can I drink it? Also, can the aging process (bulk aging) in the carboy be done in the bottle instead, because I'd rather free this jug up for another batch.

While I'm at it, are there any particular wines that get done faster than others? I'm really wanting to push this stuff into the bottling process (& drinking process) as fast as possible. How much does the wine's taste improve if it's bulk aged in the jug rather than just bottling it and drinking it in say a couple of months. I'd like to keep my turn around time from fermenting to drinking at about two months. Sure, there will be some bottles that are left to age but that's not to say I don't want to drink some ASAP.
I started making wine without any kits or prior experience..
I made it purely for the purpose of getting drunk. Things I noticed are

The fermentation finished after 5- 6 days...
It started to settle in next couple of days..
I filtered it on 8th day and drank it on the 9th day...
I cannot say the taste was awesome, but I can say it served its purpose...
I got drunk...

Back