What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish it was warm enough to smoke some brisket!
My senior year in college, one of my roommates wanted to grill lamb, so he donned winter survival gear (he was ROTC) and grilled at 0 F. This was in Potsdam NY, at the northern end of the state. I thought he was insane, but the lamb was great!

I have 3.

Offset stick burner.

BGE,

Weber Kettle.

If you want to tend to a 10 hour cook in the Winter knock your socks off. South Texas is not Northern New Mexico. Even for the next 3 days.
That's the beauty of having various smokers. My wood offset will not be used. My Mastersmoker electric with autofeed pellets will be used. Set it and forget it! Yes, I will set it up Saturday evening, then put the brimmed wild turkey (wild shot) in the cold morning. Use the Wifi to turn on the smoker and......
Yes, i am lazy and that is what builders do. Think of ways NOT to do it the hard way.
Remember you are located in LOST, but beautiful country. Plus, why would you be cold? after all, everything there is nuclear radioactive anyway!!! All glow in the dark stuff.

That's the beauty of having various smokers. My wood offset will not be used. My Mastersmoker electric with autofeed pellets will be used. Set it and forget it! Yes, I will set it up Saturday evening, then put the brimmed wild turkey (wild shot) in the cold morning. Use the Wifi to turn on the smoker and......
Yes, i am lazy and that is what builders do. Think of ways NOT to do it the hard way.
Remember you are located in LOST, but beautiful country. Plus, why would you be cold? after all, everything there is nuclear radioactive anyway!!! All glow in the dark stuff.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.23.05 AM.png

Ibglowin - its always warm enough to BBQ
this is how us Canucks roll -lol! no weather holds us back!

View attachment 109254

I did that exact thing in Illinois. It is part of why I left Illinois. Much more fun when it is not 32F or colder. Not a matter of can you do it, it is a matter of why? I grill for fun year-around here. But not next week.

23 F today in the Ottawa valley - with 1 foot snow and still coming down
i hunkered down got the BGE out smoked a couple of Picnic shoulders($1.29/pound-cnd- great deal) pulled pork sandwiches on a brioche bun with potatoe salad, coleslaw

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

It was 3 degrees here....... LOL
It's -50 here.. We had bbq steak last night. Used the infrared side burner because the grill likely would have made the propane gel.

It's just a matter of how badly you want that brisket. 😄

There is a ribeye in that flame somewhere.

steak.jpg

Last edited:
Cold and high winds this weekend, but didn’t let that stop me from smoking some pork to have some friends over. Smoked overnight and went well, However, after I pulled the pork out, the wind knocked the smoker off the counter☹️.
Broken door, but it still works, so I ordered some new parts. Next time I’ll put some weight on it or strap it down!IMG_3524.jpeg

IMG_3525.jpeg

So.. I know @ibglowin thought it was a bit cold, but I have been saving my brisket. They are hard to come across here, but after walking into business Costco and seeing I can buy it any time, I went for the glory today. I have been planning how to pull it off for a few days.

To prove I am not playing games, there's a thermometer present. -27 on the deck where the BBQ is. -32 outside with wind chill pushing it to about -40.

b1.jpgb3.jpgb2.jpgmac.jpg

So.. I know @ibglowin thought it was a bit cold, but I have been saving my brisket. They are hard to come across here, but after walking into business Costco and seeing I can buy it any time, I went for the glory today. I have been planning how to pull it off for a few days.

To prove I am not playing games, there's a thermometer present. -27 on the deck where the BBQ is. -32 outside with wind chill pushing it to about -40.

View attachment 109308View attachment 109309View attachment 109310View attachment 109311

Well done with the sides too!

OK, this was a big wow. I was going to make my own buns, but I ended up somewhere between lazy and distracted and never got to it. I only had these crappy burger buns in the freezer, but they were perfect.

Buttered and toasted buns with raw onion, then brisket which was warmed up in a homemade bbqish sauce, topped aggressively with sauteed shallots, jalapeno's. and coleslaw.

A squirt or two of chipotle sauce to top it off.

Deadly.

Heaven! 😂

bun.jpg

Latest posts

Back