What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps I need to start a thread of "Whats for Dinner Tomorrow." I have other commitments at dinner time all of this week and next week. I also am committed to having dinner readily available for my DW at normal dinner time. So, I have been cooking the night before for dinner the next day. Soooo, last night (for consumption today) was roast chicken leg/thigh quarters, roast potatoes, and roast artichoke halves. (Hey, it was 9 pm, I wanted EASY! :) ) Pretty good, but because I just turned off the oven after an hour and left it all in the oven overnight, the chicken and potatoes were a tad overdone. Artichokes were fine.

Tonight, (for consumption tomorrow), I took a pork tenderloin, cut it into ~2.5" filets, smashed them down to ~1.25", seasoned and dredged in flour, then sauteed. After removing from the pan, I made a piccata pan sauce with sherry, butter, capers, lemon juice, and the rind and flesh of some ho-made preserved lemons. Also made Savoy cabbage, sauteed in butter, then braised in chicken stock, and mixed with Soba noodles.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out tomorrow!

Leftover........

bbq%20rib%20vide.jpg

From Sunday! :db

That pic and the word "leftover" do not go together.:HB

I also am committed to having dinner readily available for my DW at normal dinner time. So, I have been cooking the night before for dinner the next day.

WOW! Could you PLEASE stop making the rest of us men look bad??

Seriously. If it were me, I would be directing my wife to the nearest take out joint.

Seriously. If it were me, I would be directing my wife to the nearest take out joint.

Well, my note was a little complaining, but I do really enjoy cooking enough to do this willingly. Also, my wife is extremely busy at work, for a good reason, and so that is part of why I am so committed to helping her out.

As I was headed out of the door this morning, Mrs. JohnD made it known that she wanted some sort of steak for dinner. Not being one to disappoint, I did a little brainstorming and picked up a 2 bone prime rib at lunch time. Stopped at home to let the dogs out, and lightly salted it with some sea salt, wrapped and stuck it in the fridge. When I get home, it'll come out a while before cooking and get a nice sprinkling of fresh coarse ground black pepper, and onto the rotisserie til it hits rare, then off for a tented rest before cutting and plating. I think she said something about tomato/cucumber salad and zucchini from the garden, but all I could hear was steak reverberating in my brain............

Tonight, (for consumption tomorrow), I took a pork tenderloin, cut it into ~2.5" filets, smashed them down to ~1.25", seasoned and dredged in flour, then sauteed. After removing from the pan, I made a piccata pan sauce with sherry, butter, capers, lemon juice, and the rind and flesh of some ho-made preserved lemons. Also made Savoy cabbage, sauteed in butter, then braised in chicken stock, and mixed with Soba noodles.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out tomorrow!

In case anyone was dying to know, these both turned out to be outstanding. The piccata was really enhanced by the preserved lemon, and, for once, I got the seasoning right on the braised Savoy cabbage. (Here is the recipe I use for the cabbage.)

As I was headed out of the door this morning, Mrs. JohnD made it known that she wanted some sort of steak for dinner. Not being one to disappoint, I did a little brainstorming and picked up a 2 bone prime rib at lunch time. Stopped at home to let the dogs out, and lightly salted it with some sea salt, wrapped and stuck it in the fridge. When I get home, it'll come out a while before cooking and get a nice sprinkling of fresh coarse ground black pepper, and onto the rotisserie til it hits rare, then off for a tented rest before cutting and plating. I think she said something about tomato/cucumber salad and zucchini from the garden, but all I could hear was steak reverberating in my brain............

Rotisserie thermocouple is acting up a bit, but got it back on track and spinning away....

IMG_0864.jpg

I had a lot of leftover sauce from the double batch of chipotle-braised short ribs I made several days ago. I hit it with the stick blender to puree the mirepoix, then added a generous splash of cream and a little more wine. It's simmering in the slow cooker now. I'll serve it over fresh mushroom ravioli for myself, since the rest of my fam has low tastes. DH will have cereal when he comes home from the gym (his choice--not through any horrid neglect on my part).

For my two college students, I'm disposing of leftover pepperoni and cheese in a batch of calzones. I set the dough to rise half an hour ago.

Burgers and dogs, burgers and dogs here. Food from the snack shack during baseball games. Tonight a final pack meeting with the cub scouts at our pool where we had...

...burgers and dogs!!

Man nobody must be eating dinner around these parts!

I have been alternating for a couple of days between leftover pork ribs and leftover piccata pork tenderloin medallions. I'd be sick of it if it weren't so good!

Tomorrow I get to do grilled salmon steaks and asparagus.

As promised, I fired up the grill. First, I made a cold cous-cous dish, bordering on tabbouleh. This is super easy and good fare for summer: take 1 cup cous-cous, and add in a bowl with 1.5 cups water and 0.5 cups lemon juice, all at room temperature. (I macerated some diced shallots in the lemon juice before adding.) Let that sit for ~1/2 hour. Add enough olive oil to get a nice consistency/unctuousness. Options: I added parsley and diced tomatoes.

I grilled asparagus (just olive oil, salt and pepper) on a hot grill, then really cranked up the heat for the salmon steak (~1.25" thick). After marinating in soy and lime, put it on a very hot grill for 2 minutes one side, 1.5 minutes the other, so that the outer flesh was nicely seared/browned, but the inside was just above room temp, practically raw. I served that with a tarragon-and-chive-infused compound butter. Delish!

Last edited:
Been looking for these for like 3 years now, found them at......... Costco!

And yes they do taste like Cotton Candy! :db

We love 'em. Wish they were more readily available. Have only found 'em at Wegman's and only on occasion.

Back