What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We always go when we visit our kids out in LA. Fantastic meal but we all reek when we get in the car and head for the house. Worth the smell still!

Home made pizza night. Home made dough (from scratch), mushrooms, sausage, red bell peppers, and a ton of cheese.

One thing I did different is that I took some dried porcini mushrooms, soaked them in hot water, then added to the pizza. Good Lord Almighty, was that fantastic!

IMG_20141122_180331_950.jpg

TONYT,

How about a recipe for that sausage.

I have never been able to make a decent sausage dish like that!

johnT

Simple, a pound of salt, a pound of pepper, a half pound of whole fennel seed and fifty pounds of cubed pork shoulder. Mix well then grind into casing.

Thanks,

And your sausage dish? What goes into that?

Oh gosh. That's just Tomato Gravy. My wife makes my grandmother's recipe by feel and taste. Saute finely diced onion and garlic in olive oil. Add can tomato sauce, lots of fresh basil and fresh oregano, salt, pepper. Drop in link Italian sausage and simmer until the sausage is done (three hours or so). Another favorite is to drop a pork roast in the gravy to cook, this takes 4 or 5 hours or more to become Italian pulled pork.

Oh gosh. That's just Tomato Gravy. My wife makes my grandmother's recipe by feel and taste. Saute finely diced onion and garlic in olive oil. Add can tomato sauce, lots of fresh basil and fresh oregano, salt, pepper. Drop in link Italian sausage and simmer until the sausage is done (three hours or so). Another favorite is to drop a pork roast in the gravy to cook, this takes 4 or 5 hours or more to become Italian pulled pork.

So tony, you do not fry the sausage first (before putting it into the gravy? You just put the sausage in raw?

Very nice, Mike. The Subplot No. 27 sounds really nice:

Winemaker's Notes
I am particularly proud of this wine as 2011 posed formidable challenges from a cold weather perspective, yet we were still able to deliver our signature ripe style of table wine at an exceptional value. Our Subplot blend is a complex wine that provides a symphony of fresh fruit aromatically speaking; red fruits, like black cherries, raspberries and black currants, are wrapped with the subtle hints of savory herbs, brown sugar, caramel, cola and pencil shavings. The wine enters the palate sweet and has a generous, round mouth-coating mid-palate. Fruit flavors echo the aromatics; Red and Dark fruits are surrounded by essences of brown sugar, waffle cone, cream soda and dashes of fresh and dried herbs. The sumptuous finish is complemented by the natural sweetness and acidity of the wine.

Blend: 41% Syrah, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Malbec, 8% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot

I may have to see if I can find that locally.

Subplot is one of my favorite value wines. You can still find it here for $14.99 plus shipping. The latest release is SP#28 which was a much better wine as the growing season was textbook perfect. The winery had a case special for $15 a bottle plus free shipping a while back. Bookwalter is one of the wines that I am a Club Member of and that I order by the case each year. Very high QPR wines for sure!

Boy it's not easy reading this thread when you're watching your weight! I drool over every recipe I read. Is there nothing for rice cakes? ;). :)

Subplot is one of my favorite value wines. ... The latest release is SP#28 which was a much better wine as the growing season was textbook perfect.

Nice one!! Pun intended?? :)

As I have mentioned before, I spent some time in Pasco, and Buchwalter was our "local winery" for tastings and dinners. Very enjoyable. Never had the Subplot, though.

How about Rice Cake sliders! Definitely not a good thread to peruse if your counting calories!

Boy it's not easy reading this thread when you're watching your weight! I drool over every recipe I read. Is there nothing for rice cakes? ;). :)

Latest posts

Back