What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the weather as cold as it's been, I continue to work on the chicken and wild rice soup I made with the scraps from last week's chicken roast. So, grilled cheese and soup again!

Yesterday was maple jack rotisserie BBQ chicken with steamed green beans and homemade chili pepper cornbread... And a taste of DB out if the primary!! Just a taste! Was doing an SG reading and couldn't help myself... Better check the freezer for what's on tonight... Could be crockpot tandoori butter chicken!

Last night was BBQ chicken marinated in orange rhubarb butter, wild rice, and creamy cucumber salad.

I love cucumbers i grow tons every year, and eat them all most every day.
sometimes i just slice with fresh tomatoes that i pick, salt and pepper..

Tonight will be:

Bacon Cheddar and Chive potato skins with home-made picco and sour cream (served with 2011 Pino Grigio), followed by:

Zesty Herbed Chicken Pot Pie with peppered cream sauce and Colby-cheddar topping over a home-made buttermilk biscuit crust (served with 2011 Pino Grigio), finally:

Marble swirl cake with chocolate creamed cheese icing and blueberry drizzle (served with 2012 Moscato).

boatboy......breakfast...lol i do it alot....bacon,eggs,grits,toast....maybe hash browns.

Ya know, the kids were just asking for pancakes last night. You might be on to something there. It's been a while since we did breakfast for dinner. Now, what wine pairs well with eggs and pancakes...

I love cucumbers i grow tons every year, and eat them all most every day.
sometimes i just slice with fresh tomatoes that i pick, salt and pepper..

James, I hear you! There is nothing like a fresh cucumber or tomato with s&p. Ohhhh, I miss summer! I'm planning to do a new type of cucumber this year.

Boatboy: it's called Mimosa :p

Ya know, the kids were just asking for pancakes last night. You might be on to something there. It's been a while since we did breakfast for dinner. Now, what wine pairs well with eggs and pancakes...

How about a nice Riesling?? (bet you thought I would say "Welch's")

I love cucumber salad. Do you have a secret recipe.

Hey Shelley!
Totally not secret, but also never exactly the same :) I'm kind of a 'kitchen sink' person when it comes to cooking, but here's the general idea:

I slice my cucumbers (usually 2 long English for the 4 of us) up super thin with my mandoline, then sprinkle heavily with salt (approx. 1 Tblspn), wait 10-20 min, then drain off the water.

Then a splash of white vinegar or lemon juice (1-2 tsp, depending on taste), a heap of sour cream (1 cup to 1.5 cups), pepper, salt & dill to taste.

Let me know if you try it, and how you like it!

Just to weigh in here. My grandmother's cuke salad (Hungarian)

Peel and slice cukes on a mandolin.
Place in a colander with a TON of salt. Let rest for 30 minutes or so.

scoop up handfuls of the cuke/salt mix and squeeze out the water with your hands. repeat this step.

Dressing.. 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayo, vinegar to taste, and add dusting of paprika at the end.

basic excellent pork roast dinner....I love it...
It steak night here, ribeyes oven cooked, baked potato loaded and a wilted spinach ....
No desert tonight...im on a diet...lol

I made a really nice dinner tonight, all from scratch. -- braised Swiss chard and onions, a cream sauce with garlic, thyme, and mushrooms on a bed of mushroom fettucine, and steak au poivre made with flambeed medallions of tenderloin and a cognac/cream sauce.

Latest posts

Back