What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Live lobsters here in New England are currently running $11.99 and 12.99 a pound. Highest in a long time. A couple of years ago they were $4.99 and $5.99.

I recall that lobster glut from a few years ago and reading how cheap it was going to be. All season long, I hit the seafood section at least weekly, looking to score a great deal. Prices never changed. Someone made a lot of money that year.

Merrywine

Reaction score
Late, but Happy New Year nonetheless. :hny2
674CC338-CC36-4119-969B-E403A581F158.jpeg
Cinnamon rolls New Year’s Day.
E7C836CC-5B6A-4B60-BF37-9B5C0FA169A6.jpeg
Dinner- rack of pork, creamed onions, broccoli, mash with gravy, dinner roll and pork dressing with fresh apples.
69C67923-8DFD-4262-A420-830BE8749F6A.jpeg B287C1F0-2704-4441-BCE0-EEA4203F4D1A.jpeg
Beef barley soup- stock was made with rib roast bones.

Reaction score
I recall that lobster glut from a few years ago and reading how cheap it was going to be. All season long, I hit the seafood section at least weekly, looking to score a great deal. Prices never changed. Someone made a lot of money that year.
What's a glut anymore, lol... I saw that premium blue crab is now up to $54/lb in our local market yesterday, yikes! I think the claw meat is up to $24.99/lb, and that's the cheapest stuff.

Reaction score
So it sounds like I should run out and buy that pound, it's a bargain!

Edit: I'm getting out of work early today, I should run up to a local farmers market we have here in Lemoyne and see what the going price is, there are a couple of seafood vendors there. Plus it's a great way to contract covid!

Double edit: $39/lb for Venezuelan crabmeat at the farmers market, all of Giant's is Indonesian. And as expected, about 10% of the people (mainly the older generations) were wearing masks.

Last edited:
Reaction score

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you kidding me......... No 'dried shrimps" were to be had in Lost Almost. I would think you could find them in an Asian food store. The closest one to me is in ABQ 100 miles away. I figure raw shrimp in their shells was close enough!

Where did you find "dried shrimps"? I have some old ones I used to rehydrate for cichlid food, but it sez "not for human consumption" on the label.

I guess I could try them on my kids and see if they survive eating them, lol.

Reaction score
Are you kidding me......... No 'dried shrimps" were to be had in Lost Almost. I would think you could find them in an Asian food store. The closest one to me is in ABQ 100 miles away. I figure raw shrimp in their shells was close enough!
Okay, I'll thaw a couple and put them in the oven at 170* for a few hours, lol.

I always try to make a recipe as intended at least once so I get an idea of what the recipe author intended, then I have fun switching stuff around.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Okay, I'll thaw a couple and put them in the oven at 170* for a few hours, lol.

I always try to make a recipe as intended at least once so I get an idea of what the recipe author intended, then I have fun switching stuff around.

I found some on Amazon (of course), but that doesn't help you if you want to make it today.

Reaction score
I found some on Amazon (of course), but that doesn't help you if you want to make it today.
Probably tomorrow for lunch (the boy works during dinner time). I can't imagine that you would really notice it missing with all the other ingredients stewing in a dark roux.

I did find some Maryland crabmeat (Old Salty's Lump) for $18.99 for a pound. Will reserve some for the gumbo and make up a few crabcakes for tonight. Can you freeze a crabcake before cooking?