What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife went all fancy today and made me and the kids a multi course meal.
Had some of my 2018 Merlot and 2017 Muscat with it.

I already "liked" this post, but I have to comment. It looks amazing! Just ridiculously, over-the-top, impressive. I bet it was delish!

I already "liked" this post, but I have to comment. It looks amazing! Just ridiculously, over-the-top, impressive. I bet it was delish!

Yep it was delish.
I'll relay your comments.

Today was my turn. I found pork shoulder and pork leg on sale yesterday for $1.19/lb, so got about 40 lbs.
I made about 25lbs of Sicilian sausage. 3/4 of it was mild, and 1/4 was hot. I used my dried ghost/reaper/scorpion ground peppers. Recipe calls for wine so used some of my Merlot.
Also made another 10lbs or so of breakfast sausage patties.

The rest was bone and skin.
Used the bones and made a big pot of pork broth. Tomorrow my wife and I will make some dumplings to add to it.

Usually I'd clean the skin and fry it for pork rinds, but I still have a bunch in the freezer from 6 months ago I haven't used yet, so I'll probably toss it.

Sounds fantastic but you know the rules by now!

1610322186106.png

Today was my turn. I found pork shoulder and pork leg on sale yesterday for $1.19/lb, so got about 40 lbs.
I made about 25lbs of Sicilian sausage. 3/4 of it was mild, and 1/4 was hot. I used my dried ghost/reaper/scorpion ground peppers. Recipe calls for wine so used some of my Merlot.

Used the bones and made a big pot of pork broth. Tomorrow my wife and I will make some dumplings to add to it.

Usually I'd clean the skin and fry it for pork rinds, but I still have a bunch in the freezer from 6 months ago I haven't used yet, so I'll probably toss it.

Some left over steak I had in the fridge plus ALL organic cauliflower bites from Costco....yeah I’m trying to go all organic but the real organic stuff with no artificial flavors ingredients, except for the meat this time 😎😎

View attachment 70322

I'm going to have to look for those cauliflower bites next time I make a Costco run.

Sounds fantastic but you know the rules by now!

View attachment 70327

Blah fine, I went and got stuff back out of the freezer :)
6 trays of sausages like this:

IMG_20210110_201319.jpg

A bag of breakfast patties (I just filled some baking sheets and baked, then cut up with pizza roller. Kids love these in a wrap or on a bagel with eggs/cheese:

IMG_20210110_201414.jpg
Soup stock:

IMG_20210110_190504.jpg

My noble grinder:
IMG_20210110_190645.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep it was delish.
I'll relay your comments.

Could you give us your recipe for the Sicilian sausage ? I would like to try it in a couple of weeks. Thanks

Not dinner but lunch! My boss is finally back on the job, so it was in and out of work onsite after two hours. Hit the local Giant for some milk, which for some reason was incredibly scarce, and found some lamb ribs on sale for about 1/3 the normal price. Couldn't resist, plus I haven't had a good lunch in about 3 weeks (sandwiches and salads just won't do).

Marinated in some EVOO, rosemary and garlic for a couple of hours. Did overcook a bit while I was tending to a needy person at work, but pulled at about 135*F and I'm sure went higher before serving. Very juicy and delicious, served with some sauteed kale (w/salami for fat) and a Rolling Rock pale pilsner. Yum!

1-11-21_lamb-1.jpg

1-11-21_lamb-2.jpg

No pics, but BLT's with ho-made bacon on 27 grain and seed bread.

Bought an eye of round at Wegman's today. Gonna do a double sear, 24 hour sous vide on it later this week.

Back