What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evidently, I still feel chipper!

We enjoyed grilled green beans and onions (balsamic vinegar and tarragon); corn-off-the-cob with garlic and marjoram; sautéed/braised Swiss chard (fresh jalapeñoes); and grilled salmon (marinated in soy/lime, then served with garlic/butter/lemon/fresh basil). We enjoyed it a lot!

IMG_0923.JPG

Spent the late morning cooking up three pounds of bacon for the weekend. Had all that left over bacon fat and the cat birds who used to feast on it (solidified in the freezer in a small container, placed out and they ate it up, would fly into a nearby tree and wipe their beak off) aren't feasting anymore. What to do...after the tomato warning expired, heated the outdoor electric skillet up and cooked up some cube steaks (I think this is called chicken fried steak, never understood that).

Served with some cheese infused smashed taters and cut green beans. I did up some onion, pepper and a mater to top my steak with. Hit the easy button once again. Happy Friday!

8-28-20_chicken-fried-steak.jpg

I'll have to, only one beer left in the fridge, daughter has my car.

But wait, let me think ... thinking like Pooh Bear (I think he said "think, think, think") ... I have a basement full of aged wine! So maybe I don't have to slow down after all. What a silly thought on a Friday evening.

I'll have to, only one beer left in the fridge, daughter has my car.

But wait, let me think ... thinking like Pooh Bear (I think he said "think, think, think") ... I have a basement full of aged wine! So maybe I don't have to slow down after all. What a silly thought on a Friday evening.

I hope the tomato warning was a false alarm.

Celebrating TGIF! Seemed like it was a really long work week that never ended.....

Tonight it was Green Chile Cheese Burgers with Mexican Street Corn (off the cob) as well as a cucumber salad with home grown (for the most part) ingredients. I decided to get creative and mix some ground Prime Chuck Roast with some Waygu hamburger meat. Tasted freaking amazing. No complaints from Mrs. IB tonight (but the evening is still young) LOL.

Paired pretty darn well with a 2015 Patricia Green Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir from OR.

fullsizeoutput_40a0.jpegfullsizeoutput_40a2.jpegfullsizeoutput_40a3.jpegfullsizeoutput_40a5.jpeg

Shoot, now my efforts look meager...

I gave blood today, so for dinner I wanted a Ferris Wheel, wait, no, I meant a "Ferrous Meal." So I procured a Wahlburgers meat blend (ground chuck, brisket, rib, I think), and lots of spinach. I checked the weather radar for storms, and it seemed like we would be fine. However, you have to love finishing setting up the barbecue grill under a small umbrella in a torrential downpour that popped up out of nowhere. It just BLOSSOMED from nothing on the radar.

I let the grill sit burning away (Pro-tip: Affix a piece of aluminum foil to loosely cover the vents!) The weather cleared as suddenly as it started, so I started grilling away. Then, as I was finishing, intermittent storms came and went. So I dodged rain storms to get this done, but we enjoyed: burgers with cambozola on sourdough toast; sautéed spinach with garlic, EVOO, and lemon; and grilled artichokes. (It was done about the same as Jim's nice burger above, but he takes a much better picture!)

All washed down with a ho-made 2017 Syrah from Horse Heaven Hills.

62035209425__3D8A52B8-3A0A-4E48-B118-D054D15D3BF4.JPG

Last edited:
Melanzana alla parmesana, before and after baking. With a good red wine, it is as close to Heaven I will ever be!

100_1570.JPG100_1571.JPG

Also roasted some hot Hungarian peppers in Olive Oil, Oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. Love these on sandwiches and as a side with any meat. (Heck, I would probably like them on my cereal!)

100_1572.JPG

Last edited:
It's the weekend so I had to grill something. Found a hunk of pork butt for $5 (only about 3 lbs) and decided to make some pulled pork. Had bought some small sub rolls earlier in the week and my wife suggested we make cubano sandwiches. Bought the pickles, ham and some swiss cheese. So started the butt piece around noon, endured some showers, but it made it to 205*F by 5:20. Rested for 30 minutes and pulled. Took some extra to a neighbor who always showers me with food, put some in containers I was returning, so I think we are even, LOL.

All I can say is Yum!

8-29-20_pork-butt.jpg

8-29-20_pork-butt-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back