Other What would Zante Currants do for a cheap wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigandy

Junior
Reaction score
What would adding a cup of Zante Currants in primary do for the wine? more specifically, would it give the wine more tannins?

Nope, but it would extra flavor, depending upon the varietal. I add regular black raisins to S. Cab & P. Syrah. It adds just a hint of fruitiness to the Syrah and another layer to the Cab. In the primary I add about a cup of oak & a tbsp of tannin. Others add oak to their bulk carboys. Try it both ways and see what you like. I'll add cherry juice to Italians, as I like extra fruitiness in them.

Nope, but it would extra flavor, depending upon the varietal. I add regular black raisins to S. Cab & P. Syrah. It adds just a hint of fruitiness to the Syrah and another layer to the Cab. In the primary I add about a cup of oak & a tbsp of tannin. Others add oak to their bulk carboys. Try it both ways and see what you like. I'll add cherry juice to Italians, as I like extra fruitiness in them.
thank you, very helpful
do you recommend zante currants or raisins for chilean cab?

I consider the Zante currants and raisins to be about the same, although there are probably subtle differences. @joeswine has said that adding fruit in the primary forms "a partnership in the final taste profile". Hopefully he'll comment as to what other affects there are from adding Zante currant (or any fruit) to the primary.

When you add fruit up front , in my experience there is no down side , remember ( less is more ( raisin, currants , figs ) less is more .
Soft fruit , quart is enough, zesting 1 /2 of a grapefruit or any citrus is enough ( you can always add more).
It’s all subjective to one’s taste .knowing your base wines profile is Paramont

Latest posts

Back