RJ Spagnols Zante currants with dried grape skins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I picked up a RJS Cellar Master (from Costco) Amarone "style" kit. It comes with dried grape skins. Can I add chopped up Zante currants to the mix? Was thinking of doing so at the beginning of the fermentation process (before it even starts to ferment). Thoughts?

Thanks!

I added the zante raisins and the kit is still fermenting. Tomorrow will be day 9! I think the raisons increased the brix. It's a good thing they include EC 1118 ! SG last reading was 1.023. I have stirred the must daily. The kit included skins as well.

This was the starting SG.. seems very high ?

Attachments

• 52C85057-B73E-4882-B5E8-FD56BF416162.jpeg
    52C85057-B73E-4882-B5E8-FD56BF416162.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Wow! If that's my ABV I'll be doing a lot of cheering!! I didn't think cheap kits could achieve that high of an ABV. We shall see..

Let's see if it actually gets to .996 or similar. I will take another SG reading this afternoon. Curious to see how close it has gotten to 1.000

As of the morning, fermentation was still happening albeit at a slower level. 🤞

Wow! If that's my ABV I'll be doing a lot of cheering!! I didn't think cheap kits could achieve that high of an ABV. We shall see..
ABV depends on the amount of sugar present and upon the yeast used. If you step feed it, the cheapest kit can hit 18%+ ABV.

Pardon my ignorance- what is step feeding? Assuming it is a reference to adding yeast incrementally?
No need for a pardon! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask! ;)

Step feeding is gradually adding sugar to a must. A must can have too much sugar and the yeast won't eat it. For high ABV wines it's common to start at a higher level (e.g., 1.100), and every time the SG reaches 1.010, add enough sugar to bump it back up to 1.020.

In theory EC-1118 maxes at 18% ABV, but folks have reported going higher with feeding.

Note: Whatever sugar is remaining when the yeast finally poisons itself (produces an ABV in which it can't live) will remain in the wine, so it won't be dry. The numbers I used above are commonly used -- you could also let the SG drop to 1.000 and feed it up to 1.005, or any value you choose.

Here is the most recent SG. Looks like it's close! 1.000ish?

Attachments

• 7F3CC4B3-5CC8-432D-9445-74A01C16E74F.jpeg
    7F3CC4B3-5CC8-432D-9445-74A01C16E74F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • C7EFE30E-AB80-4E98-9FE3-B0AF2BBB1458.jpeg
    C7EFE30E-AB80-4E98-9FE3-B0AF2BBB1458.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Most red kits historically do yes as it is pretty much bullet proof. FWK's however use a little better yeasts
one could always blaze new trails and explore the characteristics of different yeast, yes? and there are many to choose from or using two at a time??

Hey folks,

I picked up a RJS Cellar Master (from Costco) Amarone "style" kit. It comes with dried grape skins. Can I add chopped up Zante currants to the mix? Was thinking of doing so at the beginning of the fermentation process (before it even starts to ferment). Thoughts?

Thanks!
I added raisins to my Amarone style from Mosti Mondiali, along with the grapes, and it gave good body and flavor. You also may want to add oak during aging.

Another option would be to add seeds from Finer Wine Kits; I checked and they're available now. I searched seeeds on the LP site to find them.

I added raisins to my Amarone style from Mosti Mondiali, along with the grapes, and it gave good body and flavor. You also may want to add oak during aging.

Another option would be to add seeds from Finer Wine Kits; I checked and they're available now. I searched seeeds on the LP site to find them.
AS WEII AS TANNINS

Latest posts

Back