Other What wine for a Scotch drinker??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Morning!!

So yes...I love a good Scotch...mostly Highland and Islay...does anyone else?? And if so...can anyone recommend a kit that compliments your Scotch likings??

Thanks!!

Spanish wines have a "mineral" taste to them that might go pretty good with a "peaty" scotch.

Tempranillo or Rioja.

Perhaps a nice bold cab sav? Or perhaps if you enjoy some of the more dedicates flavours that you need to search for try a good pinot noir. All up to you in the end... I guess I just told you my two favorite (thus far) types of wine.

I do like me a good Scotch. Highland and Islay. A heavy Cab Sauv or a Pinot Noir are both good choices in wine. I also really like the WineExpert Luna Rossa kit I made, particularly after a few years of age on it. I like Super Tuscan's also, so probably any of the kits that claim to be in that style. I have a Spanish Riojo bulk aging that might be good in a bit of time. Oh and Spanish Tempranillo

For me, it comes down to dry and red, so dry it will make you thirsty to drink.

Morning!!

So yes...I love a good Scotch...mostly Highland and Islay...does anyone else?? And if so...can anyone recommend a kit that compliments your Scotch likings??

Thanks!!

Ah, I love a good Scotch as well. You might enjoy a Chilean Carmenere wine kit by Wine Expert "This varietal is deep crimson, with dark cherry aroma, red fruits and berry notes running to a smoky, spicy finish with notes of dark chocolate and tobacco. Another good one is a Spanish Tempranillo (World Vineyard) kit from Wine Expert as well. A step up from this is the Winexpert™ Selection International Spanish Tempranillo w Grape Skins.

I am not promoting Wine Expert, they are just examples. Look for the grape and with kits the more you pay the better the wine. Also keep in mind that these type of wines require aging from 12 to 18 months in the bottle to reach they full potential. I know it is hard to wait so you might consider making two and putting one away for later.

Ha!! Too funny!! Just so happens I bottled those two about a month ago!!!

Looks like I'm on the right track!!

Guess it's time to look for a cab...Chilean as well??

I seem to migrate to the colder climate wines as apposed to Australia and California...

I am a Rye man myself but I can drink Scotch. I like the commercial Scotches like H&H Pinch and Chevas Regal. I never really got into any of the single malt or other boutique Scotches. Too much good Rye out there.

I am a Rye man myself but I can drink Scotch. I like the commercial Scotches like H&H Pinch and Chevas Regal. I never really got into any of the single malt or other boutique Scotches. Too much good Rye out there.

Hey, Rocky, what is a decent rye in the not-so-exorbitant category? I'd like to acquire a rye, but, being a noob to the drink, generally wind up giving up and buying a bourbon instead.

Two fingers of Woodford Reserve and a splash of chilled water. Cheers..

One of the nicest Canadian Whisky's for me is Forty Creek...not sure if it's available south of the border though...Tangle Ridge is another!!

Bourbon is great!! So is some Irish Whisky!!!

Hey, Rocky, what is a decent rye in the not-so-exorbitant category? I'd like to acquire a rye, but, being a noob to the drink, generally wind up giving up and buying a bourbon instead.

Hey Paul, I am not sure what you consider "not so exorbitant" but there are a number of ryes out there that will not break the bank and are decent. (The worst rye I ever had was wonderful!). Here are what I keep at home normally, from lower priced (for mixed drinks) to higher (for just sipping with or without ice):

Old Overholt Straight Rye Whiskey, Jim Beam Rye are for my mixed drinks (e.g. a rye Manhattan which will taste a little dryer than a bourbon Manhattan)

Wild Turkey Rye, Bulleit Rye for a drink on ice with a twist of lemon

Ri (the label indicates a "long I" so it is pronounced "rye"), Templeton Rye which I sip in a nice clean glass and nothing more and just listen to the angels sing.

There are a number that I have yet to try. I see that Jack Daniels is now producing a rye and I would expect it to be priced similarly to Wild Turkey and Bulleit. There are two that I have not been able to find in Ohio, Sazerac Rye and Whistle Pig Rye that I would like to try and would expect them to be in the Ri and Templeton Rye price range. Also, most Canadian Whiskey is very much rye-based although their laws are not as strict as ours regarding rye content. The US requires that 51% of the mash must be rye to be called "rye whiskey" the rest being corn and/or barley and "straight rye whiskey" is just that, 100% rye mash.

What wine for a scotch drinker is a tough question, much like "what type of pasta for an apple eater". The two are very different..

Perhaps a tawny port?

Rocky, thanks for taking the time to run that down and then to write that up! I'll peruse the shelves of my liquor store next time I am restocking commercial wine!

Latest posts

Back