What to do- brix 26.3, ph 3.86

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoors

Reaction score
Just finished the 2017 crush. 85% Zinfandel, 15% petite Syrah, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. 20 lugs, around 60-65 gallons. Sulfited in 5 gallon batches with 1.65 grams of Kmeta. Brix was 26.5, ph was 3.86. Just a cheap ph pen from amazon- but I'm concerned the ph is too high. Should I just leave it as is? If I add tartaric acid, how much do I add? inoculating in the morning with RP15 and adding lallzyme ex-v.

You should check the brix in the morning, it may increase depending on the grapes, maybe in the 27 range. Just me, but 27 is a little high for my comfort level. Adding acid is always a bit of a gamble, but without knowing the TA it's a real gamble.

I just had 6 lugs of grapes come in at 3.9/4.0 for ph, ising a new $130 ph meter, 0.5 ta, i used tartaric to adjust to 3.6 ph .75 ta, but i put through mlf, just waiting on my chromo sheet to dry but by 7 days i was back up to 3.8 ph. Wondering of i should have skipped the mlf considering my lowish ta and high ph, but it smells good right now so ill wait it out, worst case scenario ill use it to blend.

My rule of thumb is to not adjust more than .2 pH. Add 25% of what you think you should, and then add more. I wouldn't water back a 26 brix wine.

Seems like some of the big napa cabs have PH on the higher side. I would do as NorCal said.

Seems like some of the big napa cabs have PH on the higher side. I would do as NorCal said.

You are correct, just for educational purposes, I've been dunking the pH meter in lots of my Napa cabs before drinking. Many of them fall in the 3.7 and 3.8's. Just manage your sulfite accordingly, and all will be well.
It's hard to get the high pH's down and have it stick, they tend to creep back up, but those ripe grapes generally have higher BRIX / ABV %, which also adds a slight measure of protection.
Sometimes it's best, as @stickman indicated, not to monkey with Ma Nature too much, and learn to use your knowledge and tools to work with what she's given you.

Excellent advice- I think I'll go with what I've got for now without intervening that much. As it is, yeast, additives, etc are all new this year compared to how im used to doing things.

Latest posts

Back