what size barrel???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
What size brute barrel for 7 lugs of grapes=250lbs...do i need 20 or 32 gallon? going to use to ferment..thks:dg

270#'s of grapes yielded about 15 gallons initially. I have 2 20 gallon brute containers - got them from Home Depot online - pretty cheap and was free shipping.

Two of the 20G for sure will do the trick nicely. Like Jon said, White ones can be found online, only Grey available in stores. :(

US Plastics has a nice selection of them. I ended up getting the White cans from Home Depot as they had the free shipping offer but they didn't carry the lids so I got my lids from US Plastics. They were pretty cheap to ship.

IMHO, yes, way too small for that quantity. I put 100lbs of crushed/de-stemmed grapes into each of my 20G Brutes last Fall and that filled them sightly more than halfway (I used these to pick up my grapes from the vineyard and they JUST barely fit into the Brute uncrushed/de-stemmed).

I had a good 6" cap form on top of that during fermentation. I could see perhaps going up to 125 or 150lbs but I don't see any possible way to safely ferment 250lbs in that size container. It would slosh out all over the place on punch downs and would also be a beast if you ever needed to move it sloshing even more.

you can get the larger one - which ever you feel more confortable doing.

But the 270#'s that i pressed gave me 15 gallons of juice - fills the 20 gallon about 3/4's full.

is that with the cap at 3/4 full??..i want to make sure i have room to punch down with out over flow...:sm

is that with the cap at 3/4 full??..i want to make sure i have room to punch down with out over flow...:sm

Are you going to cold ferment?

If cold fermenting you should be fine - the fermentation will not be as vigorous therefore not creating a huge cap.

I figure that 250 lbs is around ~ 15 gallons of "wine", but much bigger in volume than 15 gallons while still mixed with all those grape skins and pieces of remaining stems.

A lug is 36 lbs; I think 3 lugs (108 lbs) makes between 5 and 6 gallons of wine.

Is that about right, Mike?

Depends on the varietal as they say but you should get 6 gallons from anywhere from 80-100lb of grapes. I got over 6 gallons with mine last year. Also how hard you press obviously!

Depends on the varietal as they say but you should get 6 gallons from anywhere from 80-100lb of grapes. I got over 6 gallons with mine last year. Also how hard you press obviously!

Yep, lots of factors to consider - freshness of grapes, size, variety, ..etc, but that seems like a good ballpark figure.

Back