What plastics are safe for primary fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
I was out the other day and as usual I was looking at different plastic containers wondering if they would make a good primary. I found a 23L plastic can tapered from small at the bottom and larger at the top with a snap on lid and handles. It was perfect or was it?? It has a number 5 on the bottom and I was unsure if it would be OK or impart a funky taste into the must. Anyone ever use #5 plastic? How about dioxins? No cancer causing wine here please. You read and hear all kinds of horror stories??:s
Thanks for all the help so far, Steve

Steve:

IMO, a 23 litre primary is too small for a 23 litre batch. But obviously OK for smaller.

What was this vessel previously used for?

Personally I only use primaries & carboys made specifically for this hobby. It seems to me to be a small increased costfor the number of times that I have used them (and will be using them).

Steve

Steve:

Personally I only use primaries & carboys made specifically for this hobby. It seems to me to be a small increased costfor the number of times that I have used them (and will be using them).

Steve
I have to agree with you on the type of vessels used. I feel the commercial equipment is well worth the intial cost.They can be reused a thousand times and the real cost is negated. Using only food grade plastic is the only safe way to go. This is a good reason for passing on the "bargins".

1st you need to know if its "food grade"
If not I would not use. You need to look on the bottom for HDPE.
Like what cp said I only use products used for wine or glass. Its better to spend a little more than lose a expensive kit / wine. Just MHO :b

Back