What is your cost of apple wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

What a tasty hobby!
Reaction score
I was curious of your costs of the following recipe?
My pricing apple juice and sugar today for a first batch of apple wine.
Juice 23L (6 US gal) about $22.00 cdn
Sugar 5lb $.52/ lb 2.60
yeast + misc chems 3.50 est.

Total $28.10 cdn or 28.09 US today

Last edited:
I am in the process of making some crab-apple wine myself. The apples came from the tree in my backyard so there was no cost there. I used about 15 pounds of sugar (8 or 9 dollars), 4 pounds of raisins (6 dollars), 6 Cinnamon sticks (1 or two dollars), plus all of the rest such as yeast, pectic enzyme etc. ( 3 or 4 dollars).
This produced a batch that was 27 liters (7.5 US. Gal.) in volume.

Craig....sounds like you have the average prices. Yes some of us get fruit for free or a reduced price. That's always great.

It is definitely cheaper than buying wine.

As a rough rule of thumb for me is...if I can get ingredients for less than @$45.00/$50.00 per 6 gallons then it's a good starting price otherwise I could do a Merlot, Cab. Sauv. for less. That's what I pay for 6 gallons of Calif. wine.

You could have saved a penny by crossing the border. why didn't you?
emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I also make apple and crabapple. I prefer the crabapple a bit more because it brings with it a bit more flavor in my opinion (not to mention that they're free and abundant).

If you have a COSTCO or SAMS CLUB its cheaper for the apple juice

Smiths has Langers for $2/gallon so $12 for 6 gallons (it is regularly $3 at the grocery outlet)
Costco is $5.99/10lbs of sugar
yeast + misc chems 3.50 est. yeah.

Just started 12 gallons on sat.

I just made 10 gallons split into 2 batches (cyser and spiced) from fresh pressed cider for around 70$. Thats including the honey needed to bring the cyser from 1.04 to 1.09 (forget how much).

I got about 5.5 gallons of apple wine for about $15 US. From fresh apples. Just bottled the last 3 gallons last night. mm mmmm

Fruit from somebody's tree is a big plus as far as savings go. Esp when you can make something you really enjoy for less than $1 a bottle or even $0.45 a bottle when using "alternate sourced" fruit. Thanks for the comparisons. $2 a gallon for juice is really good, best I saw today was $3.35 gal. Still beats $10 for storebought wine.

I haven't made it yet but, I will try out once. As per my knowledge 3 gallon of apple wine will cost me around $3.

Latest posts

Back