What do you think of these?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used it. But, I have heard alot of good things about it. In other groups I belong to they all recommend it.

Yes - I have heard a lot about them. Haven't seen this particular make but they do work.

George had something like that at Winestock. It's the Vinturi Wine Aerator in the Bar Supplies section. Same unit, same price. I think I'll add one to my next order.

Joan,

I have one that a friend gave me a ways back. It seems that the Vinturi's effect takes what would otherwise be accomplished with some swirling and speeds it up. However, do note that in the tests that I have conducted with the Vinturi (including multiple applications), it did not create something in the wine that would otherwise not be there through swirling and sitting out in a glass. A decanter will also do the same thing. The Vinturi sometimes spits wine out the little side vents instead of sucking air in, as well, so it's not always clean to use. After multiple tests, I only use it for novelty effect at this point.

- Jim

I was recently in Napa and several of the vineyards we visited used them.

Jim Cook is right.... Decanting and swirling will do the same thing. BUT, I hear people say If you dont have time to decant.... These are great.

Think of why a winery would want to use something like this and see if it fits your own style of consuming wine. At a winery, people step up to a 'bar' and over the course of several minutes down small tastes of wine that likely do not get proper air exposure to enhance the wine. So a winery pours 1 ounce of wine through a Vinturi, compressing time spent swirling and oxygenating into a couple seconds and the person drinking it says, "Wow - this does taste good, let me buy a case a sign up for the wine club."

Compare this to the average person drinking at home who isn't 'shotgunning' the wine and the decision can be made for yourself as to whether it's worth it or not. The more people drinking the wine (meaning the faster a bottle is consumed without exposure to air), the more likely a Vinturi will come into play. When I host blind tasting events, I use it to help get the wine a more oxygenated place. When I drink wine in a casual setting, there's no need in my opinion.

- Jim

I have one and have blind tested it on a number of folks (probably 5 or 6). All preferred the wine passed through the Vinturi vs. un-decanted wine.

I have not compared the Vinturi to decanting. I will now, though.

Ike

Back