What do I have here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tess, sorry I kinda hijacked your thread, but Rocky I agree it would be hard to move, however why couldn't I make one that only holds 6 gallons

You certainly could make a 6 gallon rectangular container out of wood. My comments were on barrels in general. They have been around for thousands of years and were principally used to move goods, mainly by ship from one country to another. I have always heard and read that they are round to make them easy to move. I have worked in the beer industry and used to deliver 31 gallon barrels of beer that weighed about 300 pounds. We moved them by hand when we delivered them by rolling them and directing them with our feet.

No problem Rob. Im just getting back on my puter. Been on my phone again. They sent me a bad AC adapter. I looked at the loops and they are nailed in place with tiny nails.

You certainly could make a 6 gallon rectangular container out of wood. My comments were on barrels in general. They have been around for thousands of years and were principally used to move goods, mainly by ship from one country to another. I have always heard and read that they are round to make them easy to move. I have worked in the beer industry and used to deliver 31 gallon barrels of beer that weighed about 300 pounds. We moved them by hand when we delivered them by rolling them and directing them with our feet.

Make's sense to me.

The stamp appears to read (the first word is Illegible) the last two words are South Africa.
If the barrel has been sitting a while in the shop or in your house, make sure that you can see the inside, at times mold will grow on the oak.

Tom, its never been used would it still grow mold? I bought it brand new

Latest posts

Back