What a gift! So cute

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lednugenna

Junior
Reaction score
My daughter who lives a couple hours away called me today to tell me that my gifts are in the mail. Just so that I didnt go and order these on my own she told me what she got me. Thirty, yes 30 airlocks! Aparently hubby told her that I really wanted airlocks (and I do) but she had no idea how many to get and just remembered seeing a lot of jugs waiting to be cleaned so she thought 30 might be enough. lol. She also got me a winemaking book but doesnt remeber which one. Now I am just going to have to order some more bungs and make some more wine. Poor me. :)

I have about 16 airlocks and went transfer a 6 gallon primary into 6
gallon jugs and realized I was 3 short of doing this so I went out and
bought another 6 gallon carboy instead in which I really didnt have the
money for but didnt really want to divide the wine up that way anyhow
so! I recommend getting some of the bungs for 750 bottles because those are good for overflow and topping off later.

Edited by: wade

Anne: That was a very thoughtfull gift from your doughter. As we may laugh at the quantity today, in a few months you'll be searching for one and wish you had more. Every time I place an order or am in the local brew shop I always pick up 2 or 3 just because. I have twisted a couple and they split on the bottom below the water line, I have racked and had enough left over for 2 smaller bottles, Or I just have 4 to 6 batches going at once. They always come in handy, and as far as I know, they never go bad. Your lucky to have such a sweet gift.

Wade, I dont know which ones she ordered or from which company. She said that she ordered the ones that I already have which are the twin bubble. I dont know if they are green or not cause I am color blind but they look clear to me. I am really tickled that she wanted to give me a gift at all considering the very long and angry teen years are just past so I feel quite blessed and happy this year. :) She wont be legal to drink any of the wine until the end of next year and some of it might even be drinkable then so I think she will be getting a bottle or two for her 21st birthday.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL!</font></font>

I do all one gallon batches so having extra airlocks is awesome. I will watch out of the breakable bottoms. I am just plain lucky :) My daughter has turned into a lovely young woman and that is a blessing for sure.

20061223_214205_Assortment.jpg

Can you see the ones that are rippled as compared to the ones that are
smooth sided. The smooth sided ones are very fragile as they are made
of a thinner more brittle plastic. Dont try and twist these in the bung
as they will snap very easily. The ones on the big carboys are the good
ones vand they are called triple ripple as compared twin bubble. Other
than breaking easy they work the same though.

WOW! wade! Looks like a nice assortment of tastes! What is the yellowish looking wine?

Yes, in that pic I can see that some are green and they are the type that mine are (but mine are clear). None of mine have broken yet(so far). I dont know which I am geting for my gift but I will be sure to be careful not to twist them either way. Thanks

I love the assortment of jugs Wade, it looks like my house. But I am anal and there are no identifying lables on mine anymore. I have some 3 liters that dont have a handle and I wish they did. Makes it easier to get a good grip on it.

Edited by: lednugenna

My personal preference is the 3 piece. They seem to be better built and are definately easier to clean.

Waldo said:
My personal preference is the 3 piece. They seem to be better built and are definately easier to clean.

I have a few of those in the picture also but tend to prefer the
others as I like to see when they are bubbling so as I have an idea
whats going on without whipping out my hydrometer every 4 days.

Looks Great! You gave out the receipe for that one, and I have all the ingredients, just waiting for a carboy to be free! Thanks!

Is there ever such a thing as a free carboy, wait a minute, I'm getting
a free carboy thanks to Jobe so I guess the answer is YES! Merry
Christmas everyone.

Back