Welch's sulfites question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinard

Reaction score
Hey y'all. Newbie question. I mixed up a 6+ gallon batch today and added some sugar syrup and welch's white grape concentrate to up the sg, but, suffering from stupidity, I forgot to check the ingredients of the welch's until after I added it. It contains sulfites. I used 2 cans of the frozen concentrate. Will this adversely affect fermentation? What do I do to counter the sulfites? I haven't yet added yeast.

Thanks!

Steve

It took a bit, but I was able to find the answer to this question in another post. The gist of it was that it should be fine. Small amounts of sulfites shouldn't bother wine yeast as they are fairly tolerant (in case anyone else is wondering...)

Sulfites should not be a problem for the yeast. Potassium sorbate is the main one to watch out for, making fermentation difficult to get going.

Sulfites should not be a problem for the yeast. Potassium sorbate is the main one to watch out for, making fermentation difficult to get going.
I (think) I have read that sulfites can suspend or stop fermentation. Is that true?

Not really, a healthy fermentation will not be stopped by normal levels of sulfite. Sulfite at abnormally high levels may make it difficult or slow for fermentation to start.

I have made three 1-gallon batches of Welch's Concord grape wine and never had a problem with fermentation. Matter of fact, my wife likes this wine best of what I have brewed. You should be fine, just don't make the mistake of getting it too fruity. I use about 80 ounces of juice and the rest brought up with sugar/water to SG 1.080. Concord makes a very full bodied wine. good luck with your wine.

If you use a high SO2 tolerant yeast, like 1118 it should get going. If not, heat to 70 degrees, make sure there is nutrient and aerate the heck out of it. The aeration will help blow off some of the SO2, as well as give the developing yeast some oxygen. If it is going to get going, that will do it.

I used the 1118 yeast, which came with the kit. I didn't have to do anything special and the airlock is bubbling away. Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest posts

Back