Welch's Port (style) Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
I've got my first batch of muscadine port aging in carboy now, great expectations for that batch...

As an experiment, I decided to make another 3-gal batch in port style, this time using Welch's Juice. Basing it on the recipe(Waldo's) that I used for the muscadine, Isimply substituted Welch's. Ingredients for 3-gallon batch were:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

· 6 cans Welch’s Frozen Grape Juice
· 0.5 Ltr Red Grape Concentrate
· 1 lb Muntons Light Malt Extract
· 2 oz. Dried Elderberries
· 1 lb Raisins
· Liquid from 1-1/2 lbs boiled ripe bananas &amp; Dried Elderberries (approx 1 qt)
· 3 tsp Pectic Enzyme
· 1.5 tsp Grape Tannin
· 3 tsp Yeast Nutrient
· 1 tsp Yeast Energizer
· (?) Acid blend as needed
· 1 oz Bentonite
· 3 ea Campden Tablets
· 2 ozs French Oak Medium Toast cubes
· 1 Pk Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
· Sugar to bring starting SG to 1.120
· F-Pack to back sweeten (additional juice from 1 can of Welch’s, just thawed without water addition).

-----------------

I stopped by local Walmart yesterday afternoon and bought the 6 cans of Welch's. Those were thawed and dumped into a 5-gal primary.ThenI added:
§ ½-ltr red grape concentrate
§ Liquer from 1.5-lbs stewed bananas
§ 1-lb malt (dissolved in hot water)
§ 2-lb sugar (dissolved in hot water)
§ 1-lb raisins (free-floating)
§ 1.5-tsp pectic enzyme (should have been 3 tsp!)
§ 1.5-tsp tannin
§ 3-tsp yeast nutrient
§ 1-tsp yeast energizer
§ 3 crushed C-tabs

Added sugar to adjust SG to ~1.120 and left to sit overnight.

This morning, SG measured 1.028(!). Added 6 tsp acid blend and an additional 1.5 tsp pectic enzyme.

I'll post updates as appropriate.

Pitched yeast starter last night ~8 PM. Some evidence of fermentation this morning: sizzling with a few bubbles.

Might just be a winner here
smiley32.gif

ithink2020 said:
How's this going?

Yesterday the SG was 1.024. I scooped out and discarded the raisins, and poured the must into a 5-gal carboy with an airlock. Within a few minutes the airlocked started burping regularly, which it continues to do this morning. Wine has a nice deep ruby color, not quite as dense as a carboy of muscadine portsitting next to it (sorry, no pics at moment; will add later).

PPBart said:
ithink2020 said:
How's this going?

Yesterday the SG was 1.024. I scooped out and discarded the raisins, and poured the must into a 5-gal carboy with an airlock. Within a few minutes the airlocked started burping regularly, which it continues to do this morning. Wine has a nice deep ruby color, not quite as dense as a carboy of muscadine portsitting next to it (sorry, no pics at moment; will add later).

This morning the airlock is only burping once every 2-3 minutes, so later today I willrack the batch over from the 5-gal carboy to a 3-gal carboy...

20101106_153306_WelchsPort_11-6.jpg

What was your SG before you added the sugar, I keep wondering if we could do one of these Concords and only use the grape concentrate as the sugar source, I just havent gotten around to making one yet. Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
What was your SG before you added the sugar, I keep wondering if we could do one of these Concords and only use the grape concentrate as the sugar source, I just havent gotten around to making one yet. Crackedcork

Sorry, I did not record the initial SG. The batch notes only say: "Adjusted SG to 1.120 and left to sit overnight."

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Latest posts

Back