Welches Concentrate backsweeting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
Just want to compare notes.

Some backround: 6 gallons of Welches 100%concord frozen concentrate.16 cans used on 6 gal.
4.5 tsp acid blend
1 tsp grape tannin
Montrachet yeast
Ta was .70 pH was 2.94
SG was 1.094
FG was .994
added oak

I took a 4 oz sample and mixed in .075 oz granulated sugar.Just scooped a little out of bowl,put it on scale then stirred it into glass. I was happy with flavor at that point.It did not taste sweet, just a little fruitier.

My calculations come out to adding 14.4 oz to this 6 gall batch. Is there a residual sugar calculator so I can check what this comes out to? Is it in a decent ballpark with what some of you have went with?

This was tested on the "extra"bottle which had cleared, the 6 gal carboy is still cloudy(still on second racking). Thinking about racking and fining in another week.

Thanks for your time!

Roghly speaking that probably brings it up to about 1.010 or close to 4% sugar. Use your hydrometer in a test bottle and check this- should be close. That's a bit sweet for me but probably fine for the Concord.

Not actually trying to be a pain ,Appleman, but can you tell me how you estimated that?

Smikes,
You see the chart does two basic things with the (in) and ( to add). When you add sugar it changes the volume. The (in) tells you the amount of sugar that is in agallon of wine. The (to add) tells you the amount to add to the wine to get the sg that you want.If you used the(in) chart toadd the sugar you will then have more than a gallon and will not have added enough sugar becuase you now have more than a gallon. So the (to Add) chart compensates for the extravalume.The chart also tells you how much more than a gallon you will now have. You can use the chart for other things too.

When I bottle I check the SG of the wine and put the SG on the label of each bottle. You can only use the SG as a sweetness reference for that type of wine. My peach is good at an SG of 1.018, My Raspberryis not.Itis better below 1.010 andif you tasted the two wines you would claim that the Raspberry is sweeter and it is not. However ayear from now the 1.010 might be too sweet and I will be able to check the bottle and say to myself "This was 1.010 and that is too sweet next time I will go lower"

Latest posts

Back