Welches Bottled Grape Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Reaction score
Hi Some time ago Waldo posted a picture of Welches grape juice in plastic bottoles, I would like to have the recipe that he used . They are on sale 2 for $4.00, Need to know how manyto buy to make 6 gallons.

Thanks Harry

I just made some or I should say, I am making it. I sort of followed AAAstinkies recipe and used half juice and half sugar water.

My carboy is only five gallons so I only had to add 8 pounds of sugar which brought it up to 12% ABV. For six gallons you may want to add ten pounds intead of 8.

3 tsp pectic enzyme

4 Tsp yeast nutrient

Add juice, pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient to carboy.

Boil your sugar water. While waiting for the water to boil shake the heck out the juice in the carboy this adds oxygen to it. ( I just push it back and forth on the counter which seems to work great so long as I don't get a vortex going)

Let the water cool to around 120 f, then add to carboy after adding to juice the temp should be close to 104 f. Take out enough make a starter culture. Add starter 6 to 12 hours later.

Personally I like to get it started as quickly as possible and have added the starter as soon as four hours but have gone as long as 12 as well (it was late and I had to go to bed
smiley2.gif
).

If you have a way to test the acid levels do it and adjust accordingly.

I don't have any tannin so I don't add it but you can add tannin to the must by putting a dozen or so young oak leaves ( I got that trick from Jack Keller) I've never done it so I don't know how well it works. No that I thhink about it I may do it with all three batches I have going now. I got my oak leaves in the freezer from last spring. (Cool, I forgot about that)

120103_emA55_prv1.gif

Cheers

Hi Goslin How many bottles of grape juice did you use to make 5 gallons

Harry

Harry..I would recommend using the frozen concentrate instead of the bottled juice. The bottlerd juice has a large concentration of sulfites added and is hard to get a fermentation going. I think you would like tjhe frozen a lot better podner

Many many thanks Waldo & Masta. going to Walmart tomorrow to get me some Welckes so i can get started will post pics.

Harry

rgecaprock said:
My Dad uses tea bags for tannin but not sure of how...or how many.

Ramona

at a site that listed "equivalents" I wrote on the back of one of my recipes;

1/4tsp tannin= 1 tea bag or 1tsp ginger root, or 2 pounds raisons, or 2 cups grape concentrate.

I can't tell you the site....a few days back my computer crashed, however I am confidant someone will know.

JC

Back