WineXpert WE World Vineyard California Moscato vs Grand Cru Muscat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have plans to make my first ever Moscato after tasting a glass at a restaurant today, and loved it.

I saw posts here about that cheap World Vineyard California Moscato which is only a 10L kit, I can get it for ~$75.00

I then found a Muscat made by Grand Cru International, it has 2 more liters at !2L and for $85.00

It looks like no higher end kit for this varietal.

Which one would you recommend?

Should I wait and buy a juice 6gal bucket next month and back sweeten a bit to make it like a kit?

Hi Geek ,
What do you think about the Cru Select Muscat ? I think this is higher end , 16 L .
From RJS website :
California Style Muscat - Cru Select
80010663 Cru Select

White Muscat Style
A luscious blend with flavours and aromas of peach, apricot, baked apple, and pear. This soft white wine also has a hint of tropical fruit.

I love muscat wine too , but I made a California juice bucket last year .
Good luck with what ever you choose to make . :b

Hi Varis,

My wife has been enjoying a California Muscat that I made for her. RJS Grand Crew International Collection which is a 5 week 12L kit. Pretty sure it was $80.00. I got it from ME in Monroe where I believe you also make some of your purchases.

A downside of this wine, at least with the kit I made, is that the Elderflower sediment is very gritty, almost like a fine sand, and not realizing this I put some fine scratches in my primary bucket when cleaning. Had I known I could have done a whole lot of gentle rinsing before washing. Also, there is some floating stuff in the wine which I believe is due to the Elderflower ingredient. Wine taste fine in spite of whatever is floating.

I'm in Southbury so its likely that we're not much more that 10 miles from each other. If you're interested in trying a bottle PM me and we can talk about meeting.

Last edited:
Hi Varis,

My wife has been enjoying a California Muscat that I made for her. RJS Grand Crew International Collection which is a 5 week 12L kit. Pretty sure it was $80.00. I got it from ME in Monroe where I believe you also make some of your purchases.

A downside of this wine, at least with the kit I made, is that the Elderflower sediment is very gritty, almost like a fine sand, and not realizing this I put some fine scratches in my primary bucket when cleaning. Had I known I could have done a whole lot of gentle rinsing before washing. Also, there is some floating stuff in the wine which I believe is due to the Elderflower ingredient. Wine taste fine in spite of whatever is floating.

I'm in Southbury so its likely that we're not much more that 10 miles from each other. If you're interested in trying a bottle PM me and we can talk about meeting.

Bill,

Thanks for the offer, I will take you up for that, we can trade....

That kit, Grand Cru, from Maltose shows at $85 on their web page, not $80, maybe they up the price?

So, how do you like that Muscat? Can you taste the peach/apricot?

This Grand Cru seems like a better kit with 2L more than the WE.

I wonder if anyone has made both to compare.

Bill,

Thanks for the offer, I will take you up for that, we can trade....

That kit, Grand Cru, from Maltose shows at $85 on their web page, not $80, maybe they up the price?

So, how do you like that Muscat? Can you taste the peach/apricot?

This Grand Cru seems like a better kit with 2L more than the WE.

I wonder if anyone has made both to compare.

Just back up from my basement... I'm using the kit box and it is clearly marked 80- (on a yellow price circle sticker that ME used to mark the price). So the price has gone up $5.00 US.

Asked my wife about getting a peach/apricot taste and her answer was "Not really". Could be the taste is very subtle or her palate is not particularly discerning when it comes to wine tasting. None the less it has become one of her favorite wines.

Thanks Bill.
I assume that kit came with an fpack for after fermentation and back sweeten. Any oak dust?
Do you remember what came in the box, type of yeast, etc.

Thanks Bill.
I assume that kit came with an fpack for after fermentation and back sweeten. Any oak dust?
Do you remember what came in the box, type of yeast, etc.

Yes, Edleflowers and an fpack (Süss Reserve?) for back sweetening. No oak dust that I can recall. The same yeast, EC-1118, that you get in most other RJS kits is what came in the Cali Muscat kit.

Look, snag a bottle from me or exchange if that is what you prefer. If you like it you're golden and if you don't you've saved yourself $85.00 US.

Here's the winer kit.
It has 2L more than the WE kit and brings an 8gr pack "tea bag" of Elderflowers. Plus a nice fpack.

Thinking of adding white raisins now that I pitched yeast or wait for secondary.

SG 1.084

ImageUploadedByWine Making1408707713.969722.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1408707731.630415.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

After sitting dry for a week and golden raisins, yesterday I racked, added kmeta, sorbate and fining agents, stirred well.

Sitting in glass carboy and already showing very clear after only 1 day.
I'll let it sit for a week or so, check and rack again maybe.

SG ~1.008 or so after adding fpack.

Last edited:
If anyone following this thread has a chance, it would be nice to get volumes on the fpacs of the Winexpert vs the Rjs, I recall the WE being very large and the profile is a tad sweet for me , but still tasty and balanced.

Haven't tried the Grand Cru but I did make the WE kit about a year ago. It was a big hit with everyone who tried it so I've ordered another kit that is waiting to be made.

The FPac of the RJS Grand Cru version is .5 L.

My FPac though seems to be solidified, almost like old honey. Anyone else that has done this, was yours liquid and maybe this one sat on the shelf too long?

This is the thread that precipitated Varis and I getting to first meet each other and to develop our friendship. I had made the RJS Muscato at that time and ironically, as it happens, am currently making the WE Muscato. I had originally scheduled this past Saturday to do stabilization and clearing but pushed it out until tomorrow. I'll measure how much is in the f-pac before adding and post again to this thread with that information. [Just looked at the bag and instructions before posting and did not see any volume given for the f-pac.]

If anyone following this thread has a chance, it would be nice to get volumes on the fpacs of the Winexpert vs the Rjs, I recall the WE being very large and the profile is a tad sweet for me , but still tasty and balanced.

The FPac of the RJS Grand Cru version is .5 L.

My FPac though seems to be solidified, almost like old honey. Anyone else that has done this, was yours liquid and maybe this one sat on the shelf too long?

Poured out my WE Muscato fpac into my wife's largest measuring cup before adding to the carboy. Measured just a tiny bit below the 1,750ml line.

Latest posts

Back