WineXpert WE Mezza Luna White has not cleared

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherd

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the kit according to the instructions, adding all ingredients including clarifiers. I then gave it an extra week beyond the four weeks in the instructions. Added extra Superkleer KC yesterday but it is still cloudy tonight. I will give it more time but wanted to know if I can add a third round of clarifying chemicals or would that be detrimental?
Thanks,
Heather

I made this kit last year and didn't have a problem. I admit that I did not stir the lees back into it before adding clearing and stabilizing like the instructions say to. (I never do, I rack first, then stabilize and clear.)

I'm a little confused about when you say you let clear an extra week beyond the 4 weeks. The instructions say it should clear in 2 weeks after stabilizing, which is normal. Before you add any extra clarifiers, which would be a last resort, lets look at a couple of things.

1: When did you start the kit?
2: When did you add the isinglass that came with the kit? At the same time you stabilized it and added the fpac?
3: Did you degas it really well before adding stabilizers are clearing agents. If a wine is not degassed, it won't clear.
4: How long did you wait after adding the supplied isinglass before adding the SuperKleer?
5: Did you add the Superkleer part one and part two and hour apart?

It's a lot of questions, but may help pinpoint why it isn't clearing.

Here is what I did:
-Started the kit on 2/16
-Racked on 2/23 with SG of 0.998
-Racked on 3/5 with SG of 0.990
-On 3/5 added metabisulphate, sorbate and stirred for 2 mins
-On 3/5 added 1/2 the f-pac and stirred for 2 mins
-On 3/5 added isinglass and stirred 2 mins. Topped off with reserved wine.
-The four week kit was scheduled to be done on 3/15 - I mention this not because I think all kits are done in four weeks, or should be, just for reference
-From 3/5 to 3/21 it sat in my kitchen under airlock
-It was clear with the color of apple juice by Friday 3/21 and looked beautiful
-I picked up the carboy from the floor and set it up on the counter on Saturday 3/22 at 11AM, planning to rack and then bottle, but the wine in the carboy became cloudy when I moved it. It seemed like the sediment was stirred up. I let it sit on the counter for a day, but the sediment did not settle out, and it acutally got cloudy all over without me stirring it or doing anything else.
-Added Superkleer KC on Sunday 3/23 at 4PM, which states it will clarify in 24-48 hours. The package stated to put in the first package, then wait an hour for the second package, which I did. Stirred gently per the instructions.
-It is 3/25 Tuesday afternoon and it is not clear AT ALL. Looks completely cloudy like primary fermentation.

I haven't had this issue before, so it is strange. The wierd thing was that it cleared until I picked it up, and then hasn't been clear since. I am really diligent about doing all the racking, stirring, sanitizing because I don't want to ruin a $200 kit (not Mezza Luna but others) by being a lazy stirrer. :)

That must have been quite a shakeup when you moved it. I would let it sit another couple of weeks. If possible, have it somewhere that you can rack it again before bottling without moving it.

Latest posts

Back