Wax or Plastic wraps?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviawen

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone still uses melting wax for dipping the tops of their wine bottles before storing them away. I've used the heat-shrink plastic type ones and they are fairly easy to use. The melting wax seems like a pain in the butt. I was wondering if anyone still does this or if there is any benefit for using one or the other? Someone gave me a block of bottling wax because they saw it at a craft store and thought of me. :)
The directions on the wax says to heat in a double boiler until it reaches ~160 degrees and then dip the top of the bottle in, hold it for 15 seconds, let the excess drip off then flip it upright to let cool. This should keep bugs and stuff from nexting in the tip of your wine bottles while they age.
Any thoughts or should I just stick to shrink wrap?
Thanks! Kate

Kate - I think the waxed tops are very kool. But not kool enough me to go through the trouble :)

The only pro/con I can think of is that the shrink capsules are easy on and off.

Kate
I still wax the tops of all my bottles, but only to make a proper seal. My corks are pushed down around 1/4 '' and then a take a bent metal soup spoon and start filling the tops.I heat my wax in a used clean soup can in a pot of water until it starts to melt and flows nicely.

I know someone will comment that the wine will not be able to breathe, but hey I have 7 year old fruit and reds wines that are still very good.

I personally do not cleaning up the bottles if I dipped them.

Last edited:
Kate, I'm not sure how long it will take to melt that wax as most bottling wax comes as pallets. I personally do not like the look of wax dipped bottles, it will take a good bit of wax to do 30 bottles and it'll be quite a bit more expensive than capsules. What ever container you use to melt it in, realize the difficulty there will be in cleaning it out and most folks continue to use them just for melting that color of wax. Also I wonder how hard it will be to clean the wax off the sides of the bottle.

With all that said, I just bought a counter top single electric burner just for melting wax. I will either use tin cans or some other cheap Pyrex glass for melting the wax in. My game plan is to sink my corks 1/8-1/4" below the surface of the bottle. I will then pour wax into the recessed area. Presque Isle Wine Cellars sells 10 different colors and has the best price on wax. With this method, I won't be using much wax and I'll still be able to identify my bottles when they're laying down on the wine racks. I have played around with this already and they look awesome.

Cheese wax will also work and its about half the price of bottle wax pellets. Its a bit softer wax but still seals as well.

Thanks Doug ; I did not know that
do you have a link to it ? does it come in different colors as well ?

I've also heard that waxing will stop your wine from changing in taste very much as well. The guy who taught me said that after I've aged my wine about a year to taste it and if it taste how I want it then wax it to keep that taste. May be false but that's what I have heard, lol

I use a crock pot as my heat source, hot water bath and a soup can to contain the wax. It is very easy to store the cans, replace the cans, etc. I have used traditional canning wax that I tint with natural food dyes, and I have used cheese wax. I have dipped the entire neck and I have filled the depression like Steve mentions. I want to play with creating a wax seal that actually is part of the label/bottle itself that I use a stamp to create an impression in the wax---think old day way of sealing a letter with a wax seal and signet ring.

saramc said:
I use a crock pot as my heat source, hot water bath and a soup can to contain the wax. It is very easy to store the cans, replace the cans, etc. I have used traditional canning wax that I tint with natural food dyes, and I have used cheese wax. I have dipped the entire neck and I have filled the depression like Steve mentions. I want to play with creating a wax seal that actually is part of the label/bottle itself that I use a stamp to create an impression in the wax---think old day way of sealing a letter with a wax seal and signet ring.

Have been thinking that myself. I even thought it would be cool to embed small brass trinkets/charms in the wax.
Haven't tried it yet though.

...My corks are pushed down around 1/4 '' and then a take a bent metal soup spoon and start filling the tops...

...I want to play with creating a wax seal that actually is part of the label/bottle itself that I use a stamp to create an impression in the wax---think old day way of sealing a letter with a wax seal and signet ring.

Hmm...ideas are flowing now! It would be so cool to have your own wax seal/stamp of approval on top of every bottle!

Now to figure out how to make a cool looking stamp!

Steve those are way out of hand in price. First off you can go to a hobby/craft store and find them. I bought mine on line but i don't remember where as it's been years. The stamps are a real PIA to use.The wax has to be at a perfect cooling stage on the bottle to use it. If it's still to warm and you mess up then you have to remove the wax and start over. The emblem is cute but really insignificant. Just the button of wax on top of the bottle will be the real impact.

The other thing you can find at hobby stores is wax sticks that fit in glue guns. I used these when I wanted to put a blob of wax on the shoulder of the bottle and stamp it. Like I said though, no more stamping for me. With that said anyone that does try waxing should buy a inexpensive stamp and try it for themselves to see what they think.

Thanks Dan !
I will take a look at our local hobby store. I kinda like that idea of marking my bottles,sorta like they did loong time ago to prevent the employees from stealing the booze and top it back off with water.

For the impression into the wax, also consider buttons---you can find some nifty ones.
I came across this site http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/category_s/198.htm
but I do plan on haunting hobby/craft stores, etc....I need a dragonfly stamp--so that should be pretty easy to find.

I will say this, I get more compliments on the bottles with the wax compared to the bottles with the heat seals. I mean, everyone compliments the wine anyway but when they get one with wax they always oooh and aaaah about it. Even thought about for the wax for the impression I could even go as far as to use scented wax (since I always have a crockpot of it plugged in at home and eventually the scent wears away---would use the wax that will soon be replaced with new scented wax for my impression work). Just thinking outside of the box there but I hate to see things go to waste.

Latest posts

Back