Want to make a quick, small batch of hootch. :p

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELP! 12 hours later and there is no sign of fermentation. :(
I even made a yeast starter (1/2 cup of sugar water) and proofed it for about 4 hours before pitching. The small starter was foaming nicely when I pitched it. But, this morning, absolutely nothing.

There are three possible problems that I can think of:
- I couldn't get a SG, so I have no idea if the "environment" is suitable for the yeast. However, I did a taste test and it wasn't sickly sweet, so I don't think the sugar content is too high.
- I might have pitched the yeast while the must was too cold. I didn't defrost the frozen berries awhile beforehand, and therefore I had to wait several hours before pitching. However, I did wait awhile, and I can't imagine the must would have been less than about 10 C (50 F). (I should have taken a temperature reading. :p) Is is possible I killed the yeast?? I thought I would have simply delayed them a little bit.
- The apple juice I added may, or may not, have been sulphited (sometimes Japanese seem to omit things from their packaging labels). However, this only accounts to about 50% of the volume; the rest is sugar water and crushed berries. I would have thought this would simply slightly delay the yeast from getting started.

Any advice would be really appreciated. :(
Thanks!

I haven't been follow your discussion here, but I think that all you need is PATIENCE. The cold should not have killed the yeast, just made it go dormant. Also visual signs of fermentation are grossly over-rated. Give it more time.

Steve

I haven't been follow your discussion here, but I think that all you need is PATIENCE.

I gave it an aerating stir this evening, and it showed evidence of fermentation! Not going crazy like my peach-based EC-1118 did, but fermentation nonetheless. Unfortunately, I tried another attempt at taking an SG, this time with a mesh to allow me to properly fill the testing container, but failed. The mesh was too fine to let anything pass through. I wish I had put my ingredients into a mesh bag. :(

Oh well, at least it's on the way. And it smells heavenly!! :d

Oh my GOD this berry must smells good!
I thought the peach was good. I don't know if I'll be able to let this age properly, if it ends up tasting anywhere as good as it smells now. :)

Back