Walker's Wine Juices question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I stopped by Walker's Fruit basket in NY on the way home saturday and picked up a couple of pails, one Corot Noir, and the other Cherry.

The acid listed on each is 0.89 and 0.84 respectively. This seems high, so I'm wondering if I should attempt to lower it somehow. I really don't want to dilute the juice. The brix on each is 21, so I don't want to mess with that.

I'm planning on grabbing some 71B yeast which should help lower the malic acid some, but I also have some calcium carbonate. Should I use some of this to lower it? I plan on doing malo on the Corot Noir, but the cherry will likely be backsweetened with some saved juice.

Most of the juice from Walkers is high in acid. Let us know what your tests show. Dang you probably drove right by my house if you took I-79 home.

You probably took I-90 to Cleveland I am thinking.

That's what I did, on the way up I went through columbus and cincinatti, but on the way back I was heading toward Ashland, KY to deliver a pail of juice to my brother, so right around Cleveland I got on I-77 (through OH-8) and headed south to I-64.

All right, I'm glad I followed Tom's advice and tested it myself. I did my test and ended up with 0.6. I did it again to be sure and got the same. I'm not sure how they do their test, but it seems to be off. I suppose with the crude test I have my margin of error is +/- .025.

There's always the chance that my test is wrong as well, I tasted the juice and it's not tart at all, I know that's not a perfect test, but I expected something with 0.89 to be a little tart. I surely am pretty terrible at the titration, but this time the color change happened just as expected and it wouldn't change back with stirring.

pH measured 3.30

I think at this point I'm going to leave it as-is and test again after fermentation.

I've also decided to split the batch in two and use two different yeasts. I couldn't find any 71B at my local shop, but I already have RC 212 and 1116, so I think I'll try those.

I bought 4 juices last year from walkers and yes the acid id a bit high but it will soften after fermentation and aging.

All right, I'm glad I followed Tom's advice and tested it myself. I did my test and ended up with 0.6. I did it again to be sure and got the same. I'm not sure how they do their test, but it seems to be off. I suppose with the crude test I have my margin of error is +/- .025.

There's always the chance that my test is wrong as well, I tasted the juice and it's not tart at all, I know that's not a perfect test, but I expected something with 0.89 to be a little tart. I surely am pretty terrible at the titration, but this time the color change happened just as expected and it wouldn't change back with stirring.

pH measured 3.30

I think at this point I'm going to leave it as-is and test again after fermentation.

I've also decided to split the batch in two and use two different yeasts. I couldn't find any 71B at my local shop, but I already have RC 212 and 1116, so I think I'll try those.

Go for it..

Those sound like better numbers. Pitch your yeast. Good luck with it, I stopped buying from them years ago when I started getting old and inferior juice.

Latest posts

Back