Volume of fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1

Junior
Reaction score
Many years ago, I tried making some beer and wine. The wine did not turn out drinkable and I didn't try again. After recently tasting some wines from kits, I thought I'd like to try again and I still have some of my originalequipment. But, when I started looking into the kits I found they are all for 6 gallons. Of course my primary is only 6.5 gallons and my secondary is 5 gallons.

I'd prefer not to buy more equipment, at least until I satisfy myself that I can actually make a decent wine. So, I asked for advise at my local wine supply store. I got a couple of suggestions. The first was to add only enough water to 5 gallons in the primary. Then add the extra water just before racking. Then rack into my 5 gallon and a one gallon.
My concern with that is that when its time to add the additional packets, I'd have to try to measure out the appropriate amounts for the 2 containers, or rack back to the primary, add the packets, then rack back to the 5 gal and 1 gal. Seems like the potential for a lot of air contact.

The second suggestion was to go with one of the mist wines and only make it to 5 gallons. The lady at the shop said she finds the mist wines to be thin when made to 6 gallons and she always makes it to just 5 gallons. But the kits, with all the packets, are made for 6 gallons, so I'm unsure of that approach too.

What do you think?
Mike

Mike..I think its time to break down , call George and order a new fermenter.

Mike, I had the same problem as you several years ago. My first purchase of a wine making kit came with a 5-gal carboy and the 6.5 gal primary. I broke down and bought a 6-gal carboy at the time, but the kit still didn't come out that goodbecause you can't mix the juice and water wellenough in the 6.5 primary without losing half your must over the side.

I agree with Waldo... if you're going to lay out the $$ for a juice kit, you might as well spend the extra money on a new primary and carboy. You're pretty much guaranteed the wine will be a success if you follow all the instructions. And when the wine making bug bites you'll still be able to make use of the original 5-gal carboy and primary when you start making batches from scratch.

Let us know what you decide on.

Buy the right sizes! Once you make a good batch, you'll be hooked! Something takes over and you are under the winemaking spell! You'll love every second of it! =)

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

I agree, buy a new fermenter. You can use the 5 gallon carboy and a one gallon jug for secondary. I often use 2 three gallon carboys for a 6 gallon batch. I personally have considered using a 5 gallon and a one gallon at times myself and use the 1 gallon for topping up. Yes, many will say you are loosing up to a gallon of wine but I have always looked toward quality and not quantity. By not having to use water to top (although this fact is considered and built into the kits) I feel I would have more body and flavor in the finished product.

Of course, what is left over from topping up in your gallon jug would need topped up if left in the gallon container but you could transfer it to 750 ml bottles to ferment as well so there are options. You would need a few stoppers and airlocks but the cost of those items are minimal.

I know you want to use what you have and can admire that. One way to think of it though as well is technology changes and thus so does equipment. Lets say you bought an extra carburetor for your car years ago. Your car today is injected thus you have no use for that carburetor. I know that is an extreme example and in reality, you can still use the equipment you have successfully ( I would still get another primary). You could check at a local bakery or grocery for buckets that are food grade that contained stuff like filling for donuts. Most I have seen though are 5-6.5 gallon though. You never know what you will find though.

One last thing you can do is search for kits that make 5 gallons. I remember seeing canned concentrate kits somewhere that made 5 gallon batches. I don't know the quality of them or heard feedback from anyone that has made them but they do exist. Here is an example: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CALIFORNIA_CABERNET_SAUVIGNON__P1292C165.cfm

I don't know if George can get these or not but there are options. Like I said,I have no idea of the quality of these kits but you do have options.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Get the right sized carboy. It's going to make all the difference in the world to your final product. If you have a home brew shop close by, go pick one up. A lot of food co-ops have them too. If you don't have someone close to you, order one from George. They're $23 from George. If you divide that into the cost of 25 bottles of wine from your kit, you can see that it will add less than $1 to the price of each bottle of wine. After you've had a successful kit you'll want to make more kits and the price will be further divided. Having the right equipment for the job makes all the difference in the world in the success and enjoyment of the craft. You'll always be able to find a use with for the 5 gallon with scratch wines.
Cheers!

I would buy the new primary also, but if you wanted to make fruit
wines, the vintners harvest wine bases are kits to make 3 or 5 gallon
batches. Either good luck. These wine kits are very easy now, I
dont think youll have any problem. I had no idea of how to make wine
when I started and I produced very good wines before I even started
going on this endless knowledge base we call a forum. These people can
get you through any problems ypu might have. Dont be afraid to ask any
questions!!

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. You will find many awesome winemakers here with loads of informationready to share.

If you plan on making kits, buy to proper size fermenters and carboys. I have collected 3ea 6 gallon, 2ea 3 gallon, 1ea 5 gallon, and a hord of 3 & 4 liter jugs from cheap wine. All this in just a couple of years. I use them all for various batches. If you have a local store, you will likely be able to save a little on shipping. If not, George (Fine Vine Wines)has great prices and great customer service. He will treat you right!Edited by: pkcook

Thanks for all the advise. It seems the consensus is to expand my equipment inventory, so that's probably what I'll do. Ultimately I see myself making 3 gallon batches from the fruit purees or from fresh fruit, so I was trying to avoid buying anything big. But, also a consensus of the group is that using the kits is a good way to start. And, since I'm sure I will continue to make kit wines, its not like it would be a one time use.

I'm attending a demo this weekend at my local wine store and I'm really looking forward to that. After that, I'll probably start making my purchases.

Mike

Enjoy your demo next weekend. I'm sure it will be most helpful to you.
Who knows, you could end up getting a load of free fruit from someone and end up making 6 or 7 gallons of a scratch wine too. You never know what you're capable of until you try it.

Hi Mike

First of all welcome to the wonderful world of wine making & forum.

I went to walmart and bought me a plastic garbage can for my primary and I have been useing it for about 2 years. Works really good and cheap also.
Harry

Latest posts

Back