viognier grape

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start out with a nice cool fermentation. .I'd 60's is good. Ill let others chyme in on Yeat.

Haven't made any myself but love the varietal. Our TX grapes make great wines as oaked and stainless styles. Personal opinion is that the TX grapes are less aromatic than CA and make better oaked wines. If keeping the aromatics are a priority i would suggest a cool ferment and absence of oak. The character of the grape variety should do the rest.

Not sure if you can find this, but a few years back there was a good article on this grape in Winemaking Magazine. Doing a search on the internet about this grape might get you to someone's blog or a white paper on it. From what I've read, this can be a fussy grape. I tasted some wine from someone who claimed to be good,working with this grape, and it was AWEFUL!! Maybe some research would be a good idea.

I actualy find its tameing the aromatics thats more difficult , don't let it sit on the skins before pressing and rack it off the pulp soon.
I've had some that I had to blend with bland french columbard to mellow it out.

but generaly with a cool ferment and some booster blanc or ar2000 in the ferment and a yeast like r2 or d47 and aromatics are promoted.

D47 yeast and ferment very cool (Near 60F if possible). As mentioned, press, let it settle out, rack off all the settlings, then ferment.

Once fermented, don't let the wine set on the sediment (dead yeast mostly) long at all. Lees aging (surlie) is not typically good for aromatic wines unless you very specifically intend to tame it down some. If you do lees aging, don't stir it (no battonage). Personally, I wouldn't do lees aging/stirring at all on this wine.

IMO, no oak, either.

Latest posts

Back