WineXpert Vintners Reserve vs Selection Premium

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone compared wine made from Vintners Reserve Line vs Selection Premium line of kits?

I'm looking to start my second kit, and would like to know if it is worth spending the extra $35.00 for the higher end kits?

The $35.00 won't break the bank, but I more of a realist in that, I wouldn't hesitate spending it if it truly made a big difference, but is it a big enough difference that I would appreciate?

My first Kit is/was a Vintners Reserve, but I am just about to bottle, and haven't tasted it yet. It is also recommended to age min 3 months, so I will probably be on my 3rd kit by then
smiley36.gif

I am now understanding why most people don't get to age their wine as long as they would like. I don't know if I will be able to wait the 3 months before sampling a bottle
smiley9.gif

I have read that White Wines don't require as much aging as red? Maybe my second kit should be a White? Thinking Gewürztraminer. Anyone tried this one?

Cheers!
John

Just got back into wine making a month or so ago myself, so am no expert. Made a Selection White Zinfandel that I'll bestabilizing tonight. Have a 1 gallon homemade blackberry going also.

Read somewhere else someone recommend definately purchasing the Selection series if you care about for good quality Reds. Said they use the Vintners Reserve for whites. Know I made a VR Pinot Grigio in my past wine making life that was as good as anything commercial I'd had.

John,

I think the trick is to use the VR to establish your cellar so thet you have some breathing room for the higher end ones.

There is no doubt in my mind that VR produces a decent bottle of wine, also, probably better whites than reds but waiting is very difficult. Once you have a couple of whites and a couple of reds, you should go onto the Selection International or Estates and get something that should be laid down for a year or even two. Then it's a matter of going between the two to keep the ready drinking wine going while creating your long term cellar.

And you're not finished there. By the time you get the technique and skill and you have a good cellar, someone will call you and say "By the way I have ths 1000 acre plot that has all these Muscadine grapes growing onthem, I don't suppose you want them do you?"

Then you're into scratch wines and having a lot of fun.
smiley4.gif

John,

You're just going to have to try some VR and Selection kits and see what you prefer. Typically, the Selection kits will make wines with more body than the VR. However, I know some people who like the VR version of certain wines better than the Selection version. It really comes down to your personal tastes.

Thanks peterCopper. That sounds like a good strategy! Your right, I need to build up my "cellar" first.

I was actually thinking of trying to do some small batches of Fresh fruit. I Was thinking I would experiment with some 1 gallon batches so I can try variations and get a feel for producing wine from scratch. No sensce in making 5 gallons of @#%, as I'm sure my early attempts will have some problems. Plus it will give me a chance to try some Non-Grape wines that may or may-not taste so good.

But, I will order up a few VR kits to have going at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.

As far as the 1,000 acres,
smiley20.gif
, I love a challenge!

I actually have some vines I planted 2 years ago, that should be ready next year to start producing. (fyi...for those that are not aware, you should not let new vines produce for approx 3 years. This allows the vines to Sufficiently establish themselves before working on producing grapes. )

Thanks
John

John,

There's a really good thread under Other Topics on this forum about vineyards etc. You might enjoy looking through that thread.

Peter
Edited by: peterCooper

Didn't see that yet. Took a quick peek.... Thanks for pointing me to it!

John

The selection kits have a higher juice to concentrate ratio. More juice = more solids. More solids = more body, aroma and flavor.

Some of my customers are completely pleased with the VR's and some will not settle for anything less than a Selection Estate. Over time, every wine maker finds which kits they prefer. Try each level and decide for yourself if the $30-50 is worth the difference.

John,

Personally I think the Selection and higher end kit make the best wine for the money and therefore are the best value. My wife is quite happy with her Island Mist kits and it works out well since these are less expensive.

As others have said it is a matter of taste and you have to try different kits to see what you like and then compare the value.

Latest posts

Back