WineXpert Vintners Reserve Liebraumilch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The time is here to actually do something to my wine. Today was day 10 of secondary fermentation. I had readings of .990 yesterday and today. With the amount of days that have passed and the repeat sg readings it looks like I'm ready for the next step. I have honestly read through the directions 3-4 times and am unsure what to do. I would like to go by the instructions to a T but have read a lot on here that things should be changed. Here are my questions:

Add kmeta and sorbate before or after drill degassing?

If planning on bulk aging over a month, add F pack right away or later?

add fining and clearing stuff before or after f pack?

add fining and clearing stuff before or after bulk aging?

I know what all needs to be done, just not sure on the timing of it all.

I go by the order on my instructions

add kmeta and sorbate the degass
add f-pack and stir to mix in
add fining and clearing agents

at this point i let it sit for 3 weeks to clear then rack again and bulk age

All in all I think step 3 went well. I added the kmeta and sorbate, degassed 4 minutes with my homemade degasser, (Plastic coat hanger "J" shaped) added f pack, degassed 2 minutes, poured in clearing stuff, degassed 5 minutes, put the air lock back on.

Planning on leaving it for the 14 days it recommends then rack it and age at least 2 months.

After adding the f pack i had to use a whole bottle of wine and a little water to get it 2 inches from the bung. My wife was not thrilled that i poured one of her favorite wines in it to top up. Oh well, hopefully the 30 bottles I get back will make up for it.

Kevin

All in all I think step 3 went well. I added the kmeta and sorbate, degassed 4 minutes with my homemade degasser, (Plastic coat hanger "J" shaped) added f pack, degassed 2 minutes, poured in clearing stuff, degassed 5 minutes, put the air lock back on.
Kevin...

Bet you need to degas it more.

Steve

Do a lot more degassing before adding fining agents otherwise everything will want to float! Yoyur really not supposed to beat the heck out of it when you add the fining agents.

I have degassed, added kmeta and sorbate and added the clearing agents. It will be 14 days on Wednesday. I have a question on the color though. It seems to be clearing nicely but the color is very dark. A dark yellow/brown. Is this normal? Most whites that I have had are much lighter in color.

Will it continue to lighten up as it ages?

White wines look a lot darker in the carboy. You could take a sample into a glass and check the colour there. I would guess it would be a more acceptable colour.

Steve

While the methods of degasing can be debated, drill motors, vacuum pumps, shaking and sturing the important point is you must get the CO2 out of the wine one way or the other before you bulk age or bottle. I tend to use all three.

You can test for this by filling your hydrometer test jar 1/2 full of wine, seal the top and shake it if you get a build up of pressure a puff you need to degas further.

Given the fact that you have spent a lot of money on your kit and have invested a significant period of time to produce your wine it is foolish not to spend an extra 10 to 15 minutes to degas to ensure you got it right.

I have racked off my Liebframilch into a 5 gallon carboy. Through the advice of my local wine store owner I topped off the 5 gallon carboy and bottle 4 bottles. I will try a bottle once a month to see how the aging is going. I couldn't help myself and I tried one bottle. It was very average. It has an off flavor and smell to it though. Possibly yeast or bentonite. I hope this goes away as it ages. All in all I feel it turned out well though. I will be starting the VR Gewurztraminer in a few days. Thanks for all the advice on my first kit!

Latest posts

Back