WineXpert Vintner's Reserve Diablo Rojo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetrarch

Junior
Reaction score
I just started this kit, substituting White Labs WLP740 Merlot for the kit EC1118 yeast. I added the spent Grape pack from a CC Red Mountain kit (also EC1118 yeast) at transfer to secondary stage (at day 8 SG 0.993).
I have two questions:
Fermentation started quickly within 12 hours, which yeast is working?

This kit kit is described as off dry and a sweet reserve pack is included, what should do with it?
I prefer dry red wines so the options I am considering are:
a) Don't use it
b) Put half or all into primary
c) Put half at secondary stage
d) Put half or some to taste post secondary as directed in the instructions.
Has anyone tried any/all of these with this kit?

Thanks in advance,
Con.

I just started this kit, substituting White Labs WLP740 Merlot for the kit EC1118 yeast. I added the spent Grape pack from a CC Red Mountain kit (also EC1118 yeast) at transfer to secondary stage (at day 8 SG 0.993).
I have two questions:
Fermentation started quickly within 12 hours, which yeast is working?

This kit kit is described as off dry and a sweet reserve pack is included, what should do with it?
I prefer dry red wines so the options I am considering are:
a) Don't use it
b) Put half or all into primary
c) Put half at secondary stage
d) Put half or some to taste post secondary as directed in the instructions.
Has anyone tried any/all of these with this kit?

Thanks in advance,
Con.

The yeast fermenting is probably from the spent grape pack. I did the same thing from grapes I used with a bucket in the Spring, and the fermentation started so fast I never got to add the yeast I had planned on using.

If you prefer dry reds I would not add the sweetening pack after stabilizing. Either add it and let it ferment or just toss it. I used it as per the directions and think I would enjoy the wine better without it, just my opinion. It is still drinkable and the impact is reduced because of the amount of sawdust that is included in the kit. Mine has only been bottled for about 2 1/2 months, so time will tell. Maybe I'll learn to like the residual sweetness.

Edit: I do plan on making this kit again as I enjoy its flavor, I just will not sweeten with the flavor pack.

Last edited:
Back