Vintner's Harvest Blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj4271

Reaction score
I've started & racked a Vintner's Harvest Blueberry. This morning the SG was 1.01. Problem is, I left out therecipe/instructions & between the wife & cats, it has disappeared.

I see where Maui Joe & Martina had the same cans early last year. Where do I go next? I know I can't do this like a W.E. kit.

What was your starting gravity? Did you test your acidity, ph? If you have done those things and made your adjustments, then you need to periodically add sulfites 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. The best way to determine how much sulfites is with a ph meter. If you don't have a ph meter, I'd add 1/4 tsp per gallon now. I would let the wine sit for three weeks, rack again. If you want to oak it, add oak cubes or chips and age a few weeks or months, checking the taste periodically for oak. Check the internet on the amount of oak chips or cubes to add andthe length of time to leave them in. When desired level of oak is reached, rack off oak chips or cubes. Add finings if necessary. Let the finings rest a couple of weeks. Rack again and add sulphites. Bulk age six months. Rack into bottling bucket. If youlike your blueberry wine sweet, sweeten to taste with table sugar and add potassium sorbate. An internet search will tell you how much to add per gallon. If you like a dry blueberry wine, just go aheadand bottle. I'd look up a recipe on the internet, which should have instructions you can use. Look at Jack Keller's winemaking site for suggestions. And finally, always keep your wine topped up from this point forward. Rather than using water to top up, I use a good red table wine like Cab. Sauv.I prefer a dry blueberry with oaking, which produces a Cab. Sauv. like red table wine. Edited by: dfwwino

By the way, I would not fret regarding your loss of the Vintner's Harvest instructions. I don't think the instructions are as paramount as a premium wine making kit by, for example, Winexpert, where Winexpert has designed a methodology, including degassing, to achieve an early drinking wine. The instructions typically in a fruit base like Vintner's Harvest are provided as a convenience to new winemakers. Just use standard winemaking practices and you'll be fine.Edited by: dfwwino

You're in luck. I was exploring other parts of this site and came across MedPretzel's step by step instructions on Vintner's Harvest wine. See Topic: How-To: Vintner’s Harvest Concentrate.Great photos Medpretzel!

dfwwino,
Thanks for the help and guidance for this wine maker. You did a great job.

DFWWINO - Thanks for the help. I also saw Martina's How-To, but it ended before racking to secondary with a "to be continued."

Actually, what I was planning was to follow Smurfe's How-To For Kit Wines, but I just found a set of instructions for the mix I'm using on the net.

I'm where I need to rack again, but I'm out of carboys (unless I can rack a 6gal mix into a 6.5gal carboy). I didn't think so.

Thanks George.

Bruce, yes we are lucky to have the internet to find those instructions. I'm always losing instructions that come with kits. Winexpert publishes it's instructions on its website.

Perhaps Martina or someone else can take a photo of the Vintner's Harvest instructions and add them to the how-to above, or perhaps you could provide a link to where you found them on the web.

Bruce, it sounds like its time to buy another carboy. 1/2 gallon of wine to top up is too much, as it would dilute your wine with water or it would take three bottles of red table wine to accomplish the task if you use the 6.5 gallon carboy. Edited by: dfwwino

Latest posts

Back