WineXpert Vintner Reserve Reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawlspacevintner

CrawlSpaceVintner
Reaction score
Is it worth doing a Vintner Reserve Red? The VR Liebframilch is my first kit and it's been in the secondary for a week. Itching for another kit. Being a newbie I don't want to buy a $140 kit and mess it up. That being said I am much more of a red wine lover. Red Zin is my favorite style of wine and I eventually want to do a fancy one with grape skins, oak and a lot of aging. That being said do I attempt a lower level red or make another wine to refine my skills?

Thanks for the help and everyone's opinion on this will be fun to hear. This is under the WE thread because my local store has a lot of these, but feel free to respond about other brands too.

Kevin

I'm not into Zins, so I can't speak from experience. The following is based on generic knowledge about the various lines.

The Vintners Reserve kits are fine for what they are. Many people (although apparently not on this forum) actually like them. You could move up to a kit somewhere in the middle for better results.

There are two families of VR kits...the original and the slightly better VR World Vineyard. There is also the bottom end of the Selection line, known as Selection Original. I think that both of those would yield a bit better result than staright VR.

There is a VR WV California Zin/Shiraz, or a Sel Orig Zin/Shiraz. The Sel Orig Luna Rossa is a well liked kit and is designed as a BIG RED.

If you can get Cellar Craft, they have a value priced Sterling line. You could try Zinfandel Lodi Old Vines California.

RJ Spagnols doesn't have in Zin in these middle ranges. Vineco has the Cheeky Monkey California Zinfandel-Shiraz (similar to VR World Vineyard), but Vineco kits are tough to find in the USA.

Good luck whatever you choose, Steve

If you feel you still don't have the experience you need, continue with the lesser kits.

It's also a factor of what each of us can afford. I am not retired, yet, but once I am, what I pay for a kit will become a much bigger factor.

Even as a newbie, I bought the better kits. I felt for me it was worth the risk. The first kit I made was loaded still with CO2 in the bottle, but it is a good wine after decanting.

If you are after an early drinker, that is one thing, but

This is just my own opinion, but it seems a shame for me to have to wait 18 months to 24 months (or longer) to drink a wine, only to realize I could have spent another 20 dollars and had a much better wine.

Maybe I will feel differently once I retire...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning toward doing another lower end white kit next. Am I making a safe assumption that a Liebframilch and Reisling won't need a lot of bulk aging? My Liebframilch is close to being done with secondary fermentation, I know I have at least two weeks for it to clarify and clear.

My thoughts with buying another lower end kit is that it will leave me with money to buy another carboy. I could get this new kit going and let my Lieb age for around a month, bottle it and have that carboy ready for a GOOD RED.

Carboy management must be a game that all home winemakers have to perfect.

To the subject of what red to do, I think the Zin/Shiraz sounds great. I have never had that combo, but those are two of my favorite varietals.

If we could go back in time would have started with the higher quality kits. They do make them close to idiot proof (good for me) and the difference between them is night and day so well worth the extra money. As far as aging, have found the white kits don't need nearly the aging time the reds do..unfortunately niether are getting enough aging around here because we drink them too quickly! I've had the Zin & Shiraz kits both very good, have not tried the blend yet though...that one is coming soon i think though. Good luck!

I've done a VR red and wasn't happy with it - VR Pinot. I've heard some of the others are better. You should see if you can get a CC Sterling Old Vines Zin. I did that one two years ago and its been the best value for a kit in my opinion. I've made kits that were better but not at this pricepoint.
Good luck!!!

They can be great kits. Back in 2009 a VR Pinot Noir won a gold medal in the Winemaker Magazine Contest. I chatted with guy on another forum and he aged it in a barrel. Right now I have a VR merlot going. The only thing I did diffrently was I added my own oak and not the package that came with it.

Try the Meza Luna Red. Its a great one to start with.

Latest posts

Back